Hawaiian Chicken Burgers with Grilled Pineapple are an easy, healthy dinner recipe that’s perfect for summer! Made with just a few simple ingredients and easy to make ahead or meal prep. Loaded with sweet and savoury flavours! Includes step by step recipe video.
I don’t know about you, but firing up the grill and making some chicken burgers gets me so excited for summer! Especially when there’s grilled pineapple involved.
I feel like March is the time we really start to get excited about summer coming.
The sun starts shining brighter, the days get longer, we switch (hopefully!) from snow boots to rubber boots, and start splashing in puddles instead of making snowmen.
Since summer seems so short here, we really try to get as much grilling in as we can while the weather is nice. Burgers, steak, pizza, chicken, vegetables — you name it, it’s on the grill.
I know you know how much I love my pineapple, and I love it on everything.
These Hawaiian Chicken Burgers with Grilled Pineapple are a new favourite with everyone — even the kids! I’m always prepared for a battle when something new is on the table, but these were a hit from the first bite!
The chicken burgers are made with just a few ingredients, but they get a ton of flavour from Sweet Baby Ray’s Hawaiian Barbecue Sauce — it is sweet and savoury and the tropical vibes from pineapple juice are the perfect addition here!
You really don’t need much else to flavour your chicken. Just some salt and pepper and you’re good to go 🙂
You can absolutely mix things up and use your favourite variety of Sweet Baby Ray’s sauces — go for something more spicy if that’s your style! These burgers would also be great with beef or pork, but I love that these are a lighter option for warmer weather. Feel free to experiment a little and come up with your own take or toppings!
Tips and Tricks for Making these Hawaiian Chicken Burgers with Grilled Pineapple:
- As I mentioned above, feel free to mix things up a bit here: add in half ground pork or lean ground beef, use another variety of Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce, or even shape them into meatballs if you’re not up to grilling — the options are endless!
- You can use fresh or canned pineapple for these burgers — the grill will bring out so much of their natural sweetness that you won’t notice much of a difference.
- These burgers are perfect for making ahead and storing in the fridge or freezer, which means you can make a great big batch when ground chicken is on sale (or mix in some ground pork for a more budget-friendly option!), flash freeze them on a baking sheet and then store in a large freezer bag to cook one or two or 10 when dinnertime strikes.
Watch the recipe video and see how easy they are to make!
This recipe is sponsored by Sweet Baby Ray’s and I was compensated for my time — thank you for supporting the brands that support us!
Hawaiian Chicken Burgers with Grilled Pineapple
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s Hawaiian Barbecue Sauce divided
- ¼ cup onion finely diced
- ¼ cup bread crumbs fine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 pineapple slices fresh or canned
- 4 buns
- avocado, sliced tomato, cheese slices, lettuce or red onion as desired
In a large bowl, mix ground chicken, ¼ cup barbecue sauce, onion, bread crumbs, salt and pepper just until combined – don’t overmix!
Shape into 4 equal patties and place in a single layer on a large plate.
Place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours (or up to 24) or in the freezer for 20-30 minutes (or up to 6 months) to chill. This step is optional but helps the burgers to stay together during the grilling process!
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat, or about 400 degrees F. Grill burgers for about 7-8 minutes, until browned, and then flip.
Add the pineapple slices to the grill, and grill for 3-4 minutes per side.
Brush burgers with remaining ¼ cup barbecue sauce and cook another 7-8 minutes, until internal temperature is at least 165 degrees F with a meat thermometer.
Remove burgers and pineapple from the grill. Serve on buns with additional toppings as desired.