This Caprese Chicken and Potatoes is an easy casserole recipe with BIG flavor!
Chicken breasts, Little potatoes and cherry tomatoes bake up with Italian herbs and balsamic vinegar, and then they’re topped with melty mozzarella and fresh basil. It’s an easy dinner recipe but it’s just as perfect for entertaining!
Table of Contents
Baked Caprese Chicken and Potatoes
We are just smack in the midst of chaos here in October, aren’t we?
If you have school-aged kids like we do, you’re dealing with the usual: school, homework, lunches, bedtimes and extracurricular activities.
Then we throw in Thanksgiving, Christmas, holiday prep and planning and our own lives and responsibilities (somehow those often get left until last around here), and it feels like we’re constantly on the go.
It’s easy dinner ideas like this baked Chicken Caprese with Creamer potatoes from The Little Potato Company that saves us, over and over again.
Creating recipes like this for you guys here just makes me feel like I hit a home run. There are so many awesome things about it — here are just a few!
Reasons to love this Caprese Chicken and Potatoes:
- it’s easy and elegant — which means that you can make it an easy weeknight dinner but you can also serve it up to dinner guests over the weekend.
- The prep is minimal — because we’re using boneless, skinless chicken breasts and Little potatoes (I used the Terrific Trio variety, but any will work!), there’s not really any prep work — no peeling and no washing! — other than halving the potatoes to even up the cook time. Within 5 minutes your dinner is in the oven and your hands are free!
- Everything bakes in one casserole dish — less prep and less clean up!
- It’s loaded with flavor — naturally buttery Creamer potatoes, sweet cherry tomatoes, rich, tangy balsamic, creamy Mozzarella and fresh basil? A total match made in heaven.
- It’s pretty healthy — lean chicken breasts, Little potatoes (which are loaded with potassium and fibre), simple seasonings, juicy tomatoes, and a healthy dose of mozza (hey – our bodies need fat, too!) make this one a winner
How to make Caprese Chicken:
- Start with the chicken: boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs will both work in this Chicken Caprese recipe, but I used chicken breasts because that’s what we usually have on hand (and what 75% of you use, according to an Instagram poll).
- Halve your Little potatoes and toss them in — since Little potatoes come washed and ready to cook, they really need no prep at all. But because we want everything to cook in the same amount of time, halving them is a good idea.
- Add some herbs, balsamic, and oil and smush everyone around in the pan so they’re nice and coated.
- Toss on some cherry tomatoes and bake!
- Cheese it up — a very important part of any Caprese Chicken — some good quality mozzarella cheese!
More easy casserole recipes you’ll love:
- Cheeseburger Casserole with Potatoes
- Easy Casserole Recipes
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole with Ham + VIDEO
- Healthier Creamy Chicken Spaghetti Bake
*This post is generously sponsored by The Little Potato Company and I was compensated for my time in creating this recipe. As always, all opinions are my own. See where you can get your Little potatoes here.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Caprese Chicken and Potatoes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb Creamer potatoes any variety by The Little Potato Company
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese (or 1 cup shredded)
- fresh basil
- Lightly grease a 9×13" casserole dish and turn the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, pesto, honey, corn starch, garlic, 1 ½ teaspoons salt and pepper.
- Halve the Creamer potatoes and place around chicken in dish. Top with whole tomatoes.
- Drizzle balsamic mixture over chicken and sprinkle potatoes with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35-40 minutes, until potatoes are tender and chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F.
- Top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese. Return to the oven and broil for 1-2 minutes, just until melted.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil and serve.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel