This Air Fryer Steak is a 5-ingredient, 17 minute recipe that makes the juiciest steak every time! It’s seasoned with salt and pepper and slathered in homemade garlic butter!
Table of Contents
What if I told you that you could have the juiciest, most golden, delicious piece of steak in under 20 minutes? Yep, you read that right!
This Air Fryer Steak recipe puts a decadent steak dinner on the table in a total of 17 minutes.
Striploin steak is coated in simple seasonings and air fried until moist and tender in the middle and crisp on the outside. Serve it with homemade garlic butter and a crispy Baked Potato or your favorite side dishes for a delicious and easy dinner everyone will love!
Ingredients needed for air fryer steak:
- Steak: I use two 1″ thick striploin steaks — it’s our favorite cut of steak, but any will do! Keep in mind if your steak is thinner it will cook more quickly.
- Canola Oil: adds moisture to the meat and helps the seasonings stick.
- Seasonings: you can keep it simple with salt and pepper or use whatever blend of seasonings you like!
- Garlic Butter: optional, but topping the steak off with homemade garlic butter takes it to a whole new level!
How to cook steak in an air fryer
This easy air fryer steak is ready to go in a total of 17 minutes!
- Prep the steak: Bring the steaks to room temperature and trim the fat,, if desired. Rub with oil and seasonings.
- Air fry: Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF, then add in the prepped steaks. Cook for 10-14 minutes to your desired level of doneness.
- Make garlic butter: Stir together butter, garlic, and parsley. Check out my garlic butter recipe for more detailed instructions.
- Rest, slice, and serve: Remove the steaks from the air fryer, let them rest for 5-10 minutes, then serve with garlic butter!
Air fryer steak FAQs
I use 1″ thick striploin steaks, but other cuts will work as well. Try ribeye, strip steak, sirloin, etc. — just keep in mind that steaks of varying sizes will cook in more or less time.
You can cook the steak for anywhere from 10-14 minutes depending on how done you like it! I do 10 minutes for medium-rare, 12 minutes for medium, and 14 minutes for medium-well. Keep in mind that these guidelines only pertain to 1″ thick steaks.
You can if you want, but it’s not necessary. I leave the steak as-is for the entire cooking time and it comes out perfectly every time!
Leftover cooked steak will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen, then warm in the oven, in a skillet on the stove, or back in the air fryer until heated through.
Tips and tricks
- Bring the meat to room temp. I always set the steak out on the counter 10-15 minutes before I’m going to cook it to bring it to room temperature. This helps it cook more evenly!
- Preheat the air fryer. You want the air fryer to be hot before you add in the meat so it starts cooking right away. If you don’t preheat the air fryer, the outside of the meat could burn before the inside is fully cooked.
- Remove the steak right away. Remove the steak from the basket as soon as it’s done so it doesn’t continue to cook from the residual heat.
- Let it rest. Let the steak sit for 5-10 minutes before you slice into it so the moisture can redistribute. If you cut into it too soon, you’ll end up with dry meat.
- Use other seasonings. I use the salt and pepper to keep it simple before I add garlic butter, but feel free to use whatever seasonings you prefer!
More air fryer mains you’ll love
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Air Fryer Steak with Garlic Butter
- 2 striploin steaks (1" thick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- salt and pepper
Garlic Butter (optional)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter (room temperature)
- 1 clove garlic (finely minced)
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
- Remove steak from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature (10-15 minutes). Trim fat around the edges if desired.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F (turn it on for 5-10 minutes).
- Rub the steaks with oil and season well with salt and pepper (or add your own seasoning as desired)
- Open the basket, put steaks in and cook for 10-14 minutes (10 minutes for medium-rare, 12 minutes for medium, and 14 minutes for medium-well), until desired doneness is reached.
- Meanwhile, stir together butter, garlic and parsley.
- Remove steaks from the air fryer and let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Serve with garlic butter.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel