A lighter version of an old favorite! The slow cooker makes this Cheeseburger Soup so easy — and you can prep everything the night before so there’s no work to do in the morning.
So…. carrying on with my cheeseburger phase.
I am a BIG soup lover, especially in the winter. But I am one of those weird people who can eat a thick bowl of soup even in the middle of summer with no air conditioning in the house.
One of the reasons I love soup is the amount of veggies I can sneak in without anyone (okay, me) even noticing. All of the flavors cook together and create such an incredible depth of flavor, but you often can’t really pick out any one veggie from the mix (unless it’s broccoli — I can ALWAYS pick out broccoli).
This Cheeseburger soup, although it sounds kind of ridiculously indulgent, is actually full of healthy things. Lean ground beef, creamer potatoes (I used a 1.5lb bag of Baby Boomers from The Little Potato Company, but I think any of the Little Potato varietals would work just as well!), carrots, celery, onions, chicken broth, and it’s made creamy with lot fat milk and just a tiny bit of flour.
If you’re wanting to make the soup gluten-free, try replacing the flour with half the amount (1/8 cup) of corn starch and whisking it into the milk.
This is one of those times when I threw a bunch of things into a pot, and was blown away by how good it was! It really is the perfect hearty and healthy soup for those chilly days.
Want to mix things up? Try adding some of these veggies for an extra nutritional boost:
- chopped fresh spinach or kale
- diced peppers (I recommend cooking with the ground beef)
Or throw in some cooked bacon for Bacon Cheeseburger Soup! The options are endless 🙂
Lightened Up Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
A lighter version of an old favorite! The slow cooker makes this Cheeseburger Soup so easy -- and you can prep everything the night before.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1.5 pound bag Little Potatoes, quartered
- 1 heaping cup matchstick cut carrots (or finely dice one large carrot)
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, cook ground beef and onion until beef is browned. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Place beef in the slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, chicken broth and salt and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours, until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk and flour. Stir into the slow cooker, cover, and cook for another 30 minutes until soup has thickened slightly (it will continue to thicken as it cools). Stir in the shredded cheese and serve.
*Nutrition information is estimated and will vary depending on exact serving size, types and brands of products used.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 424 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 18g||28%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company — thank you for supporting the brands that make The Recipe Rebel possible!
More slow cooker soups to keep you warm!
Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Stew from Sweet Peas and Saffron
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup from Life Made Sweeter
Slow Cooker Turkey, Pumpkin and Quinoa Soup from Savory Nothings