This healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie recipe is easy to make and great for a weekday breakfast! It’s healthy and a good source of protein.
Table of Contents
We are getting so close to the end of school and the kick off of summer holidays, I can almost taste it.
The freedom. The chaos. The sunburns.
Kids running around outside, pretty much all day, in bathing suits through the sprinkler or in clothes full of dirt and leaves and twigs.
Either way, I’m planning to make the most of it, and to do that we need easy, protein-filled snacks to keep us going through the days.
This Strawberry Banana Smoothie is one of our favourites, along with this Pineapple Smoothie, this Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie, and this Healthy Strawberry Smoothie.
It’s easy to make, it tastes great, and as a totally unrelated bonus — it’s pink (#girlmom).
How to make a Strawberry Banana Smoothie:
I mean, really? There aren’t that many instructions in this not-really-a-recipe. But there are a few key things to keep in mind!
- Put the ingredients in the blender in the order listed. It’s important to start with the liquid or the softest ingredients first as it will be easier for the blender to do its job.
- Blend it up, but stop and give it a stir if it gets stuck or add an extra splash of liquid if you really need.
- Adjust the flavor to your tastes. You might like a little more strawberry, a little more banana, more or less sweet than we do. You might like it thicker or thinner, or even colder than we do (I often pour out some for the kids and then purée mine again with more ice because I like mine nice and cold!).
- Add in the optional mix ins — or don’t. You make this smoothie work for you! Is it a refreshing drink or a hearty breakfast or even lunch? You decide.
What’s so great about this Strawberry Smoothie?
- It’s loaded with good things. Bananas and strawberries for fiber and potassium. Milk and yogurt for calcium and protein. Want it to go even further? Add in some of the extra options below.
- It’s cold and refreshing on a hot day.
- It’s a snack that I can get in my kids quickly when they’re on the go. There’s just something about giving them a smoothie that works — I know they’ll drink anything I put in it and I know they’re getting everything they need to keep them full of energy (likely more than I even can muster) for a hot or busy day.
Variations on this healthy smoothie recipe:
- Add in some quick oats for extra fiber, protein and all the good stuff that oats have to offer. This is a great option if your strawberry banana smoothie is a meal — it will give it more staying power!
- Swap out vanilla yogurt for flavoured for a bit more sweetness and a fun twist on flavor — try strawberry, banana, or something totally different.
- To make this strawberry banana smoothie dairy free, simply swap the milk and yogurt for non-dairy milk and yogurt, or use a lactose-free variety if lactose is something your body struggles to digest.
- Don’t have frozen strawberries? Swap the strawberries for whatever berries you have in your freezer for a new spin, like this delicious Blueberry Smoothie!
- Going green? Add in a handful of spinach or kale for an extra serving of veggies in your diet.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- 1 cup low fat milk or almond milk
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 cups frozen banana chunks (about 2 bananas, 260g)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- honey (optional and to taste)
- Add all ingredients to a blender in the order listed. Puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides and stir if needed.
- If desired, add a drizzle of honey to sweeten further.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel
Jennifer Farley says
This smoothie was absolutely delicious!
Ashley Fehr says
I just couldn’t bear a hot breakfast during this heat wave and found your smoothie recipe. It hit the spot and was absolutely delicious!! Thanks for the wonderful recipe.
Ashley Fehr says
Thanks Liz! We love it!