This Chocolate Milkshake recipe is rich and creamy! Made with just 3 ingredients and including lots of different variations!
Table of Contents
Milkshakes are a favorite summer treat and around here we love them all!
This Strawberry Milkshake is a family favorite when strawberries are in season (and sometimes when they’re not!), but we also love to mix things up!
While it’s easy to experiment with different milkshake flavors, check out my guide on How to Make a Milkshake for all my best tips and tricks and flavor combos!
When you want a cool, sweet treat, you really can’t go wrong with chocolate.
There are a few different ways to make a chocolate milkshake using whatever you have on hand — read below for all kinds of variations and substitutions!
How to make a Chocolate Milkshake:
Making a chocolate milkshake is easy, but there are a couple simple tricks that will get that perfectly thick and perfectly drinkable consistency.
- Place the ingredients in the blender in the order listed. This ensures your blender will have no problem getting the right consistency! As a general rule, the firmer an ingredient is, the closer it goes to the top.
- Measure the liquid: you know I don’t like to break out the measuring cups unless they’re necessary but I’ve made too many watered (milked?) down, too-thin milkshakes to count and now I always measure to make sure I have just enough.
- If your blender is struggling, be sure to stop it and give it a stir. Here you can also check out the consistency and adjust if necessary.
What can I use instead of chocolate sauce?
I love using a good, rich chocolate sauce but there are so many other ways you can make a chocolate milkshake rich and fudgy:
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips, melted with a bit of cream or milk
- Swap the vanilla ice cream for chocolate ice cream
Variations and other flavor combos:
We are big chocolate lovers and we love to pair it with all kinds of things! Here are a few of our favorites:
- A tablespoon of raspberry or strawberry jam
- ½ teaspoon of mint extract
- 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter or Nutella
- 1-2 tablespoons of caramel sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons of cream cheese
- A couple scoops of cherry pie filling
More chocolately ice cream treats you’ll love!
More frosty treats to keep you refreshed all summer long:
- Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- No Churn Oreo Ice Cream Cupcakes
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 1 3/4 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup hot fudge sauce
- Place ingredients in blender in order listed.
- Blend until smooth and serve, garnishing with whipped cream, sprinkles and maraschino cherries if desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel
Did you use a commercial brand of fudge sauce or homemade? I’m thinking fudge sauce is different from just plain chocolate syrup, like Hershey’s?
The Recipe Rebel says
Hi Vicki! Just one I picked up at the store. Normally you find it near the ice cream toppings in the freezer section.