This Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef is sweet, sticky and a little spicy and loaded with pineapple! It’s your new favorite Asian takeout dish made at home in the crockpot!
Friends, this is such an exciting day for me. I’m sharing a recipe from my good friend Kelly’s new cookbook: The Asian Slow Cooker! (<— to buy it, because you’ll want to!)
I’ve had the pleasure of hanging out with Kelly twice just this year (like, in real life!), but I feel like we’ve been friends for so much longer. She is such a sweet person, and I am so happy to see her new cookbook and to share it with you!
We love Asian food, but I’ve always admitted that I’m no authority in Asian recipes. And so I’m so excited to be digging into this cookbook and making some easy, super flavorful meals for the fam right from the slow cooker.
I had a hard time choosing something to share with you, but we love a dark, thick, sticky sauce and this Mongolian Beef was calling to me! I also have a mild obsession with pineapple (and I put it in everything from barbecue sauce to crisps to squares and meatballs and lasagna).
In other words, we’re obsessed. Just like we’re sure to be with this cookbook!
Kelly’s original recipe of this Mongolian Beef had some red chili flakes in it for extra spice, but because the children like their food pretty mild I chose to leave it out. Feel free to add it back in if you like things on the spicy side!
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef with Pineapple
This Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef is sweet, sticky and a little spicy and loaded with pineapple! It's your new favorite Asian takeout dish made at home in the crockpot!
- 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 lbs flank or sirloin steak, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Thai sweet red chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks, drained and juice reserved
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- green onions
- hot cooked rice
- In a large ziploc bag, combine corn starch, baking soda, salt and pepper. Add beef and shake until coated.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and sear the beef, about 1-2 minutes per side, before adding to the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, broth, sugar, hoisin sauce, chili sauce, garlic and ginger until combined and pour over beef. Cover with lid and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- About 30 minutes prior to serving, whisk together the remaining 1½ tablespoons corn starch and pineapple juice. Add to the slow cooker along with the pineapple and carrots.
- Cover, turn to high, and cook 30 minutes until the sauce thickens. If sauce becomes too thick, thin with a little more pineapple juice.
- Garnish with green onions and serve over hot cooked rice.