My version of my Mom’s Pineapple Squares — almost no bake dessert that’s perfect for Spring or Easter! Light and fluffy and full of crushed pineapple!
So today we’re celebrating the babes of some good blogger friends: Natalie (and baby Josh!) of Tastes Lovely, Jessica of Flying on Jess Fuel, and Izzy of She Likes Food! Personally I don’t think there’s any better way to celebrate, well, pretty much anything than good food, so we’ve gathered a bunch of tasty bites and you can find them all in the links below the recipes.
When I was trying to think of something I wanted to make, since I knew we were planning for the end of February, I wanted something light and Springy. By the end of February, I am way (WAY) over it being winter and just want some warmth, but often it doesn’t really come until May!
My mind went straight to my Mom’s Pineapple Squares — I had this crazy obsession with them when my Mom would make them when we were younger. I don’t even know if I ever really told her how much I liked them (though I’m sure it showed!), but I remember just loving that overly sweet filling and slight tang from the pineapple.
So I went to find my the recipe I scrawled down from my Mom a long time ago, and when I went to make it I noticed it called for raw eggs. Now, I know a few desserts like this that have completely raw eggs, and I personally know that eating raw eggs is actually totally fine as long as they are pasteurized. But I didn’t want to get anyone all worked up about the raw eggs in the recipe and have to justify their use, so I thought maybe it was better if I didn’t make them.
Except I couldn’t get them off my mind. I looked at the recipe and figured I could just as easily make them without. And so I did, and although I didn’t make the original version to compare, I think these are pretty darn good.
A warning: the powdered sugar filling is sweet. There is a very small layer of it, and I love the way the tangy pineapple complements it. But I just don’t want you to make this dessert (that should be a hint right there, but sometimes it’s not enough), and then complain to me that it’s sweet. Yes, it is sweet. Okay? Cut into small pieces and thoroughly enjoy 🙂
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Mom’s (Almost) No Bake Pineapple Squares
- 1/4 cup + ¼ cup butter divided
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp powdered icing sugar divided
- 1-2 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream 35%
- 3/4 cup crushed pineapple completely drained of juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8″ pan with tin foil. Spray with non stick spray.
- In a small bowl, melt ¼ cup butter. Stir in graham crumbs. Spread into prepared pan and bake for 8-10 minutes or until dry on top. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Beat remaining ¼ cup butter and 1 cup powdered sugar with an electric mixer. Add 1-2 tablespoons pineapple juice until it comes together and is smooth (you don’t want it too wet!). Spread onto cooled crust.
- Beat cream with an electric mixer on high until soft peaks form. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in crushed pineapple and spread onto filling in the crust.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours until chilled and set. Cut into 12-16 bars.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel