These Homemade Pizza Rolls are made with easy homemade pizza dough, pepperoni, pizza sauce and cheese! Make ahead and freezer friendly!
See the step by step recipe video down in the recipe card.
Table of Contents
If there’s one thing we never get tired of eating over here, it’s pizza!
These Pizza Rolls are a long-time favorite, one that is perfect for an appetizer, dinner or the kids’ lunchboxes!
One of my favorite things about these Pizza Rolls is the fact that I can add in whatever meat, cheese or veggies needs to be used up from the refrigerator.
There aren’t a lot of rules when it comes to making them, but I’m going to share all my best tips and tricks below so you can have perfect pizza rolls that will disappear before you know it 😉
How do you make Pizza Rolls from scratch?
I like to start with my favorite Easy Pizza Dough recipe, and I’ve included it in the recipe card just to make things easy!
It comes together quickly with no mixer required (just a little elbow grease 😉 ), and is great for making a small batch (the recipe makes about 12 pizza rolls, depending on how you roll and slice them), or doubling or tripling to stock the freezer!
Homemade pizza dough is one of those things that really takes these over the top, but I am not as set on homemade pizza sauce.
If you have a recipe for homemade pizza sauce you love, feel free to use that! If not, any jarred pizza sauce from the store will do — just choose one you love that’s made with quality ingredients!
Can I use store bought pizza dough?
You know I’ll never judge if you need a shortcut — life is crazy sometimes and we do what we can!
If you can only manage pre-made pizza dough, there’s no shame in that. If you have a local bakery that sells pizza dough (like we do!), this is a great way to support a local business and get that fresh, homemade flavor.
What are the ingredients in pizza rolls?
As I mentioned above, there really aren’t a lot of rules here! But for these classic Pepperoni Pizza Rolls, here is what we’ve got going on:
- Homemade Quick and Easy Pizza Dough
- Tomato pizza sauce
- Pepperoni — chop it so that it stays inside the rolls!
- Mozzarella cheese — the delicious glue that will hold them together
- Parmesan — optional, but I really love the little punch of flavor that it gives!
Variations and substitutions:
- The sauce: you can swap the sauce for any sauce you love on pizza! You just want to stay away from thin sauces as it will leak out of the rolls when you slice them. Barbecue sauce, Alfredo sauce, Pesto (a thin layer!), and more will work just as great!
- The meat: you can omit any meat for a vegetarian option, or swap the pepperoni for turkey pepperoni, cooked bacon, cooked ham, cooked Italian sausage, or just about anything! Just cut it into small pieces so that it doesn’t slide out of our rolls.
- The cheese: mozzarella is traditional, but you can swap for cheddar, Monterey Jack, or another great cheese for melting!
- Veggies: I kept this recipe basic, but you can add in any veggies you would normally add on pizza: chopped mushrooms, onions, peppers or spinach would be great!
How to freeze pizza rolls:
I like to flash freeze my pizza rolls before storing them in an airtight container or zip top freezer bag.
Simply place a baking sheet with the pizza rolls into the freezer and let freeze until almost firm, about 1-2 hours.
Then remove from the baking sheet and store in an airtight bag or container for up to 3 months.
To thaw, you can leave overnight in the refrigerator or heat in the microwave at 50% power for about 1 minute.
If you have a little more time, you can warm them through in the oven at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.
More pizza love!
- Grilled Pizza: 4 Ways
- Grilled Cheeseburger Pizza
- Frozen Peanut Butter Cup Dessert Pizza
- Pepperoni Pizza Cupcakes
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 1 ½-2 cups all purpose flour (195-260 grams) plus more for rolling
- 1 package instant or quick rise yeast 2 ¼ teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅔ cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ⅓ cup pizza sauce
- ¾ cup finely chopped pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup of flour, yeast, sugar, salt, oregano and garlic.
- Add water and oil and stir until combined — it will be very wet and sticky.
- Gradually add just enough of the remaining flour so that a soft but not sticky dough forms. Add a small amount and knead briefly until combined so that you can feel when it is ready — it will still be soft (not feel firm or tough) but won’t stick to your hands. To knead, simply press the flour into the dough, fold the dough and press, fold and press.
- Set covered in a warm, draft-free place to rise for 25-30 minutes until puffed and doubled.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pizza dough into a rough 16×14" rectangle.
- Spread pizza sauce on dough to within 1" of the sides, then top with pepperoni and cheese.
- Roll the dough up tightly, starting at the long end. Pinch the seam to seal and place on a cutting board.
- To slice even rolls, start in the middle and make a mark where half is. Then divide each half into two (so you will have 4 quarters), then each quarter into 3 rolls.
- Place the rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet a few inches apart, and bake for 15-20 minutes, until light golden brown.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel