This Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is made with just SIX ingredients or less, no baking required and a ton of easy ways to customize it! Full step by step recipe video.
Table of Contents
I know, we’re cheating today.
But summer is here and who wants to slave away in the kitchen?
This Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is the latest addition to my SIX Ingredient summer series and it is, without a doubt, the easiest dessert recipe you’ll ever make.
I should add that when I say it’s easy I also mean it’s incredibly delicious.
Made from ice cream sandwiches that have been topped with chocolate ice cream and covered in whipped cream, this is the perfect dessert recipe for hot summer days (no oven required!).
My kids love when I make this for them.
In fact, this recipe recipe for Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is one that they can help me assemble and decorate — and they love helping me pick out different flavor variations!
What makes this Ice Cream Sandwich Cake such a winner:
This ice cream cake is a great dessert recipe for people who aren’t huge fans of baking.
There’s no mixing, no exact measuring, and no trying to figure out whether the cake is done or not.
It’s incredibly delicious and it is gorgeous to boot!
You can easily double this recipe or make this cake into a couple of smaller cakes if you are serving one or two. There are worse things than having multiple ice cream cakes in the freezer at one time!
Think of this recipe as a template, if you’d like.
It can be customized hundreds of different ways, and made in any size or shape — I’m going to share some of my favorite variations and tricks with you to help you get started.
In the meantime, check out some of my other ice cream cakes for inspiration!
I especially love the combination of flavors in my recipe for Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake or in my Nutella and Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream Cake with an Ice Cream Cone Crust!
How to make an Ice Cream Sandwich Cake:
- Create a base — you can easily make the cake smaller or larger by increasing the size of the base.
- You can change the shape of the cake creating a freestyle base or by using a springform pan or a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Alternate layers of ice cream sandwiches and softened ice cream.
- Tightly wrap the ice cream sandwich cake in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for at least 4 hours and up to 3 months.
- When you’re ready to serve the cake, remove from the freezer and decorate with whipped topping, chocolate fudge sauce, mini M&Ms, and crushed Oreo cookies.
Variations on this Ice Cream Sandwich Cake:
- You can use any kind of ice cream sandwich you want in this recipe — the sky’s the limit! Depending on the flavor of the ice cream sandwich, you may want to change the ice cream so that it complements the cookie component of the ice cream sandwich.
- Use any flavor of ice cream: mint chocolate chip, peanut butter cup, Smarties, chocolate caramel or strawberry shortcake are some of our favorites! Change up the toppings to reflect what’s inside.
- Use a spatula to stir finely chopped fruit, nuts, or fruit preserves into the softened ice cream.
- Make a vegan ice cream sandwich cake by using non-dairy ice cream sandwiches and ice cream. Decorate with coconut whipped cream and your favorite vegan candies.
- Get creative with the toppings! Fresh fruit, chocolate chips, crushed vanilla and chocolate wafers, freeze-dried strawberries, sugary cereal, sprinkles, mini marshmallows, and caramel sauce are only the beginning when it comes to decorating this cake!
- Depending on the overall flavor of your cake, you can add a few tablespoons of cocoa powder or a few drops of flavored extract to the whipped topping (mint, lemon, vanilla, and orange all work well).
Try these no-churn ice cream recipes:
- No Churn Peanut Butter Oreo Ice Cream
- No Churn Oreo Ice Cream Cupcakes
- No Churn Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Easy No-Churn Coconut Cream Pie Ice Cream
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 15 ice cream sandwiches
- 2 litres chocolate ice cream
- 1 litre frozen whipped topping thawed
- 3 tablespoons chocolate fudge sauce
- 3 tablespoons mini M&Ms
- 6 Oreos crushed
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and let thaw for 15-20 minutes before beginning.
- Find a large cutting board or sheet pan to build your ice cream sandwich cake on.
- Place two long sheets of plastic wrap over the cutting board, one going each direction so there is lots of overhang.
- Place a single row of 5 ice cream sandwiches in the middle of the plastic wrap.
- Top with half of the ice cream, spreading into as even a layer as possible.
- Top with 5 more ice cream sandwiches, and the remaining half of the ice cream, spreading it into an even layer.
- Top with last 5 ice cream sandwiches. Press down gently.
- Wrap plastic wrap tightly around ice cream sandwich cake. You can reshape it slightly if it isn's straight once it is wrapped.
- Freeze at least 4-6 hours, but you can freeze up to 3 months before unwrapping and serving.
- To serve, unwrap and frost top and sides with whipped topping. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and sprinkle with M&M's and crushed Oreos.
- Slice and serve or place back in the freezer until ready to serve.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel