This Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken is sweet and tangy with a hint of spice, and goes perfectly over rice! Tender and juicy instant pot chicken breasts in no time!
Table of Contents
A good, saucy chicken recipe is one of my favorite things in life.
But one that’s sweet and tangy with just a bit of spice, like this Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken?
My love language.
I will almost take a plate of this over cake. Almost.
This Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken is so easy, it’s become a staple here on busy nights!
The chicken comes out so moist, and cooks so quickly (hands off, too!), there’s pretty much no reason to make honey garlic chicken any other way.
How to make Honey Garlic Chicken in the Instant Pot:
I have updated this recipe since originally posting.
Originally, I cubed the chicken and cooked in broth, then added in the sauce on saute afterwards.
But I decided to try cooking the chicken breasts whole, and throwing the sauce right in.
It worked perfectly, and the chicken was even juicier than when it was cooked in cubes.
It shredded easily, and there is almost no work at the end of the cook time.
Here are a few tips to see best results:
- Spray the Instant Pot liner with non stick spray — honey garlic sauce is sweet and sticky, and although it will probably be fine without spraying, I like a little extra insurance.
- Use whole chicken breasts — cooking the chicken breasts whole ensures the juiciest chicken. If you have cubed chicken pieces, reduce the cook time to 2-3 minutes depending on the size.
- Choose low sodium options where available — this recipe calls for low sodium soy sauce and low sodium chicken broth.
- Let the pressure release naturally — this means that you will turn the Instant Pot off after cooking and let it sit until the metal pin in the lid drops. This will take about 10-15 minutes. If after 10 minutes it has not dropped, you are probably safe to open the valve as there will not be much pressure remaining.
What’s the best chicken to use in this Instant Pot chicken recipe?
You can really use any type of chicken in this recipe, you will just have to vary the cook time according to whichever you choose.
I prefer boneless, skinless cuts of meat because they are easy to prepare and cook.
Chicken thighs will always be more moist and juicy than chicken breasts, but we have chicken breasts more often as they are inexpensive to purchase frozen.
If you choose to use bone-in chicken thighs, you will cook them for the same amount of time and you may want to broil them for a few minutes in the oven if you intend to eat the skin.
If you choose bone-in chicken breasts, you will want to add 3-4 minutes to the cook time.
I don’t find that the skin is necessary to keep chicken moist in the Instant Pot, so I opt for boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts.
Variations on this Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken:
- This recipe is naturally dairy and gluten free, but be sure to check all of your labels before using. Be sure to look for gluten-free soy sauce in particular.
- Add in veggies! This is a great recipe to turn into a stir fry. Add broccoli, snap peas, mushrooms or carrot matchsticks (or all of the above) at the end when cooking your sauce, then add your chicken back in for a full meal deal.
- Obviously, you could use a store bought honey garlic sauce and pour it over after, but honestly? This sauce is so easy there’s no need!
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Creamy Garlic Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- 21+ Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo Pasta
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup liquid honey
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Lightly spray the Instant Pot with non stick spray and place the chicken breasts in the Instant pot.
- Combine broth, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Add to the pot with the chicken.
- Put the lid on, turn the valve to sealing and select Pressure Cook or Manual for a cook time of 8 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes to build pressure and begin counting down.
- When the cook time is over, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes (or until the pin drops). Open the lid and remove the chicken.
- Whisk together the corn starch and water.
- Open the lid, turn the Instant Pot to saute, and stir in the corn starch. Let cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened and bubbly. Add chicken back into the thickened sauce.
- Serve as desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel