This is the juiciest Chicken Burger Recipe! Made with a few simple ingredients, they’re freezer friendly and can be grilled or fried!
See the step by step recipe video down in the recipe card.
Table of Contents
Burger season is upon us and we’re making it a good one!
We started with a step by step video for our Best Burgers Ever, and now we’re moving on to these incredibly juicy and flavorful chicken burgers.
We love grilling burgers in the summer (really, all year round!), but there’s no place for the dry, flavorless burgers of the past.
Just like our turkey burger recipe, these chicken burgers are easy to make! With just a few ingredients and a few minutes prep, you can make the juiciest burgers you’ve ever had!
Now the only question is what are you going to top them with?
How to make juicy chicken burgers:
- Add your ground chicken and the rest of your burger ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix well, but don’t overmix! We want everything combined but not tough.
- Shape your chicken burger patties. I usually figure 4 burgers per 1lb of ground meat, and this gives good sized burgers. Try to shape them a little larger than your buns as they will shrink somewhat as they cook.
- If grilling, it’s a good idea to chill your patties or pop in the freezer for 30-60 minutes before grilling. If pan-frying, you have a little more flexibility and can chill or cook right away — just remember to grease the grill or the pan so they don’t stick!
- Grill 5-6 minutes per side, just until a meat thermometer inserted in the center reaches 165 degrees F. Brush with barbecue sauce in the last few minutes of cooking, so that it caramelizes somewhat but doesn’t burn.
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Ground Chicken: since these are chicken burgers, we are using ground chicken. However, you can use this as a base recipe for any burger you want to make. You can swap the chicken for turkey, beef or pork, or just a portion of it.
- Bread crumbs: dry bread crumbs are used in these chicken burgers because ground chicken usually needs a little assistance holding together. The dry bread crumbs will soak up any extra moisture and help the meat to hold together.
- Barbecue sauce: the barbecue sauce helps to bind but also adds a ton of flavor!
- Seasoning: I use seasoning salt, onion powder and garlic powder to season my chicken burgers, but you can get creative if you want!
How long do you cook chicken burgers?
How long you need to cook chicken burgers depends on how hot you are cooking them and how thick you have made them.
Generally, 4-6 minutes on medium-high heat is about right, but it’s always a good idea to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer to ensure they are safe to eat.
A minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F is required for ground poultry.
Can I freeze chicken burgers?
We love making a big batch of chicken burgers (or any burgers, for that matter!) and freezing them to enjoy all summer long.
To freeze, simply place chicken burger patties on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze for 1-2 hours, until firm.
Place patties in a resealable freezer bag, label, and freeze up to 3 months before cooking and serving.
Perfect for summer meal prepping!
What can I serve with chicken burgers?
We love a good selection of summer sides with our chicken burgers! Here are a few of our favorites!
- Easy Potato Salad (or Instant Pot Potato Salad if you have a pressure cooker!)
- Creamy Ranch Bowtie Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Salad – a family favorite!
- Creamy Fruit Salad – for a side or dessert!
- Homemade Coleslaw – better than store bought!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Juicy Chicken Burger Recipe
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ¾ teaspoon seasoning salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Divide evenly into 4 sections and shape into patties. (If grilling on an outdoor grill, I recommend chilling or even freezing before cooking as it will help them keep their shape).
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Lightly grease with non stick spray.
- Place chicken burgers on grill pan and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Brush with barbecue sauce and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes per side until an internal temperature of 165 degrees F is reached.
- Serve on buns as desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel