Mini Turtle Pudding Pies are the perfect bite-sized treat (made in tart shells!) for the holidays or any party — they come together quickly and are loaded with pecans, caramel, chocolate pudding and topped with whipped cream!
I had no choice.
I knew when I was planning my holiday recipes for you guys that I was going to need to include some “turtle” creations.
It seems that every time I hold a vote in my Facebook group about your favorite dessert flavors, Turtle is right up there at #1. That combination of chocolate, caramel and pecans just gets to everyone, apparently.
I know it gets to me!
So this holiday season, we’re doing Turtle Pudding Pie! I made these using pre-made tart shells from the freezer section of the grocery store, but I did make my own chocolate pudding so you can still brag yourself up to your family and friends!
If you want to keep things even simpler, you can absolutely use instant chocolate pudding here. My homemade chocolate pudding recipe is sooooo easy (easier than most, thanks to my love of shortcuts!), but I totally understand if it’s an extra step you don’t have time for. You can take the easy way out and I won’t tell anyone!
These little Turtle Pudding Pies would be just as good in one large pie shell, if that’s your thing. For the holidays, I love using tart shells because they’re great for potlucks — no slicing and serving!
See how easy it is to make!
- 12 frozen tart shells
- ¼ cup chopped, toasted pecans
- ¼ cup dulce de leche or thick caramel sauce
- Whipped cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1½ tablespoons corn starch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup chopped chocolate
- Bake tart shells according to package directions. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare your pudding. In a large skillet, whisk together sugar, cocoa and corn starch. Add the egg and milk and whisk until smooth.
- Place over medium heat and cook and stir until thickened (it will look like pudding!) about 6-8 minutes. Stir in chocolate until melted. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of pecans and 1 teaspoon of caramel into the bottom of each tart shell. Top with chocolate pudding and refrigerate at least 1-2 hours or until set.
- Garnish with whipped cream and additional caramel and pecans. Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 3 days.