Creamy, spicy Jalapeno Poppers loaded with bacon, chicken and barbecue sauce, stuffed into a crispy wonton cup!
Can you believe I’ve never made a jalapeno popper?
I’ve actually never even eaten a jalapeno popper.
I’m not one for really spicy food, I guess, and the thought of stuffing a half a jalapeno in my mouth just never really seemed that pleasant. I generally don’t even cook with jalapenos. But I like cheese and I like BBQ Chicken (even if it’s BBQ Chicken Pizza on a Kebab)….
I can get a little crazy with the baking recipes in the fall and holiday season, so I wanted to create at least one or two appetizer recipes to bring in the New Year, just to make it up to you.
I was scrolling through my list of new recipe ideas and made my husband choose between two. Much to my surprise, he chose the jalapeno popper cupcakes. To my knowledge, he’s never had one either.
So I did a little research, and found that most recipes included only cream cheese, cheddar cheese, jalapenos and bacon. Seemed easy enough.
For someone who likes cheese more as an accessory, it just seemed like a lot to fill up a wonton cup with cream cheese and cheddar cheese. I had some chicken in the fridge, so I threw it in.
And barbecue sauce. Because chicken and cheese and bacon and barbecue sauce. Do I need any other reason?
And, obviously, jalapenos. Because without jalapenos it’s not really a jalapeno popper cupcake.
I was a little nervous biting into one, but they were totally delicious. I started with just one jalapeno for 16 cupcakes, and the spice was really mild. I added an extra jalapeno and there was a good amount of heat. You’re going to have to go by however much spice you like. The nice thing is because everything is cooked, you can taste it before you put it in the oven and judge how much you want in there.
*Recipe and photos updated Oct. 20, 2015
BBQ Chicken Jalapeno Popper Cupcakes
BBQ Chicken Jalapeno Popper Cupcakes: the perfect easy, cheesey appetizer for your holiday entertaining! www.thereciperebel.com
- 30 small wonton wrappers (about 2.5-3")
- 1 8oz package cream cheese
- 1 1/2 + 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 3-4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, chopped fine
- 3/4 cup chicken, cooked and chopped
- Green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add cheddar, barbecue sauce, bacon, jalapenos and chicken and beat until combined.
- Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray. Line 15 muffin cups with a single wonton wrapper, letting the edges hang out over the sides. Spoon about 1 tbsp of cream cheese mixture into wonton wrapper.
- Top with a second wonton wrapper, turning it slightly so that the edges don't overlap the first wonton wrapper (so you should have 8 wonton corners sticking out, giving you maximum crispy edges). Press down gently so that the filling in the bottom layer evens out.
- Spoon with 1 tbsp more filling and spread gently across the top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until edges are golden. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
You might also like these Pepperoni Pizza Cupcakes!