This Slow Cooker Honey Lemon Chicken is a little sweet, a little tangy and perfect over rice or noodles! It’s an easy crockpot meal for those busy days!
See the step by step recipe video down in the recipe card.
Table of Contents
To be totally honest, I didn’t think I liked lemon chicken until I stumbled across the recipe for this Baked Honey Lemon Chicken in one of my Grandma’s old recipe books.
It sounded interesting, so I thought I’d give it a try and I became obsessed.
It is the perfect combination of sweet, tangy, and savory and I think it’s even better than what I’ve had in restaurants! (And in case you’re looking for more honey lemon love, it is what inspired this Honey Lemon Chicken and Potato Skillet!)
Clearly, it was time for a revisit and a new twist: a slow cooker twist. It was destined to happen!
We love our slow cooker for easy meals on busy days! Some of our other favorites are this Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken, Crockpot Lasagna, and Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Chicken.
Crockpot Lemon Chicken ingredients and substitutions:
- Chicken Breasts: I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts because that is usually what we have on hand. You can easily swap in boneless, skinless chicken thighs!
- Corn Starch: Coating the chicken in corn starch before browning gives them a little bit of a crust that adds great texture! You can skip this part if you are in a hurry.
- Oil: I use canola oil for all of my recipes, because it has a ton of good fats and a high smoke point. You can use another oil with a high smoke point as well.
- Honey: you will use clear honey (for this recipe), and not creamed. It adds the perfect sweetness to balance the lemon!
- Chicken Broth: I always use low sodium chicken broth and then adjust the salt as needed. If you aren’t using low sodium chicken broth, you may want to omit the salt.
- Lemon Juice and Zest: fresh is best! Opt for fresh lemons whenever possible for the best flavor.
- Soy Sauce: opt for low sodium soy sauce, or omit the salt.
Tips and Tricks for Making this Slow Cooker Honey Lemon Chicken:
- The great thing about cooking chicken in the slow cooker is that it doesn’t cook too long, and so the sauce can hold onto a lot of its flavor. If you find that the flavors have dulled after cooking for several hours, try adding some fresh lemon zest to brighten it up before serving.
- We love this Honey Lemon Chicken served over rice best, but it’s also great over noodles or mashed potatoes, or just with a side of steamed or roasted vegetables! The options are endless.
- Don’t have a slow cooker? You can absolutely cook this up in a large pot on the stove top in a fraction of the time. It will be just as good!
- Taste the sauce after cooking to adjust the seasonings. If you think it needs a little more oomph, add a teaspoon of fresh lemon zest!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Slow Cooker Honey Lemon Chicken Recipe + VIDEO
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3)
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
For the honey lemon sauce
- ½ cup liquid honey
- ⅓ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon – zest before juicing!)
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- Cut chicken breasts into ½ to ¾ inch cubes. Place in a large zip top bag and add 3 tablespoons corn starch.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add oil and wait until hot. Add chicken to the pan, allowing space between each piece, and cook until lightly browned. You may have to do this in two batches.
- Place chicken in a 2.5-4 quart slow cooker.
- Stir together honey, broth, lemon juice, soy sauce, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons corn starch with a whisk until combined. Pour over chicken in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or high for 1½ to 2 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasonings and sweetness and add lemon zest for an extra punch of lemon flavor if desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel
I followed this recipe to a T, while the chicken was nice and tender from cooking in the crockpot, I did not enjoy the taste. Will not be making this again.
The Recipe Rebel says
I’m sorry to hear this recipe wasn’t to your taste, Chloe. The amounts have worked well for myself (and others) but I know we all have different taste.