This Mango Salsa Chicken and Rice is made with 6 ingredients, in ONE pot, and is packed with flavor! Just dump and simmer. With step by step recipe down below.
Table of Contents
This Mango Salsa Chicken and Rice is pretty much all of my favorite things in one skillet, and it’s my newest addition to my 6 Ingredient Suppers series!
March is all about 6 Ingredient Skillets and I think it might be my favorite month so far (though I don’t want to hurt January and February’s feelings).
There’s just something about having a back pocket full of 6 ingredient meals that are mostly ready in one pan and 30 minutes that makes me so happy!
So about this chicken and rice.
We’ve got long grain rice, chicken breasts or thighs, peppers, sweet and tangy Mango Salsa and a melty, cheesy blanket when it’s all done.
Jarred mango salsa is one of my pantry obsessions, and even though I have this copycat Mango Salsa recipe right here, I just don’t always have the time to whip up a pot of salsa!
I swear you could put that stuff on anything and it would be amazing.
- Start with your chicken. You can use boneless chicken breasts or thighs, and it won’t change the cook time either way. Because we brown them first in the pan, and then add them to the rice later on, both breasts and thighs will be fully cooked and incredibly moist and juicy because of that steamy, saucy environment.
- Remove your chicken and saute your peppers.
- Add the broth and salsa and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the rice (rinse it first!), salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Let the rice cook about half way, then stir, and replace the chicken on top of the rice to finish cooking.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the chicken with shredded cheese, cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Get ready for a flavor explosion! (Was that cheesy? I don’t care!)
- This Mango Salsa Chicken and Rice is naturally gluten free, just be sure to double check all of your ingredient packaging.
- To make dairy free, substitute a dairy free cheese or omit.
- Feel free to bump up the veggies! Whatever you think you would enjoy with this flavor profile is fair game. Keep in mind that quicker cooking vegetables should be added closer to the end of the cook time.
- Feel free to use another salsa as long as it is the same amount — regular tomato salsa, spicy, peach — get creative!
- Feel free to mix up the cheese or add other toppings! Avocado, lime wedges, green onions, cilantro are all great options.
- 7 Ingredient Chicken and Rice Bake
- Chicken Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice
- One Pot Teriyaki Chicken, Rice and Vegetables
- 20 Minute Ham and Pineapple Rice
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 jar prepared mango salsa 415ml or 14oz
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 cup long grain white rice (converted for best results)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and sear on each side just until golden, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken and cover to keep warm.
- Add peppers to pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until crisp tender.
- Meanwhile, rinse your rice thoroughly.
- Add broth and salsa to skillet with peppers. Bring to a boil, add rice, salt and pepper. Cover and reduce to medium-low to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover, stir, and nestle chicken breasts down in the rice. Cover and cook for 10 more minutes until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender.
- Uncover, stir rice, and sprinkle cheese over chicken. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel