A new family favorite! Caprese Chicken and Rice is a simple, healthy flavorful meal that comes together completely in one pot!
It was one of those days where you feel like you hit the food blogger jackpot.
I’d had this idea written down on my list of recipe ideas for a long time. With school back in session, I had come up with a long list of quick meal ideas to bring you.
When I’d decided to go for it, I wrote down the list of ingredients I thought I’d include, and thought it looked a little slim. I wanted to resist the urge to throw in unnecessary ingredients though, because simple is where it’s at these days.
I checked Pinterest to see if it had been done before and found nothing. I even checked the Almighty Google and it told me that there were no Caprese Chicken and Rice’s out there at the moment.
So I got all of my ingredients out and set the timer on the microwave. If I was going to use the recipe for our second installment of 30 Minute Thursdays, I had to be sure!
It worked way better than I ever could have imagined. I got 2 little thumbs up at dinner (from the 3 year old and the 8 month old!), and as I was photographing it to show you the timer on the microwave went off. I’m going to call this a 25 minute meal, but if you’re using white Minute Rice I bet you can cut off about 5 more minutes!
This is the kind of meal that gets me excited: it is SO simple and quick, made with whole, healthy ingredients, and gets smiles all around. Also, it’s not pasta! As much as I love my One Pot Pastas, it’s nice to have a change every once in a while.
One Pot Caprese Chicken and Rice: 30 Minute Thursday
A new family favorite! Caprese Chicken and Rice is a simple, healthy flavorful meal that comes together completely in one pot! www.thereciperebel.com
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice (or use white -- see note)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 tbsp fresh, chopped basil
- In a large skillet, heat oil for medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, turning once, until browned.
- Add tomatoes and cook about 2 minutes, until blistered. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in rice and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover pan and cook for about 3 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Turn off heat and stir in cheese and basil. Serve!
I’ve joined together with some other bloggers to bring you a great giveaway! My apologies to my Canadian friends — this particular giveaway is open to US residents only. Giveaway runs October 1-11, 2015.
Giveaway Hosted by:
A Dash of Sanity, The Love Nerds, Fake Ginger, Domestic Superhero, The Gunny Sack
Crazy for Crust, Spend with Pennies, The Recipe Rebel, Self Proclaimed Foodie, Eazy Peazy Mealz
Mandy’s Recipe Box, Yummy Healthy Easy, Carlsbad Cravings, Love Bakes Good Cakes
Dinners, Dishes & Desserts, High Heels & Grills