This Ham and Pineapple Rice is a fun and easy one pot meal for busy weeknights! Perfect for those Hawaiian lovers 🙂 Make it with long grain, brown or instant rice.
I know this is a hot topic, but ham and pineapple is one of our favorite flavor combinations.
On pizza, in pasta, on this Instant Pot Ham — in pretty much anything.
So this Ham and Pineapple Rice was bound to happen, and I’m so glad it did.
It’s a little like a pineapple fried rice, minus the frying and the egg.
It has a similar flavor profile and pairs great with ham, pork or chicken and makes a great meal on its own!
This rice would be the perfect accompaniment to an Easter ham if you are celebrating that way this year — you can leave them ham out of this rice recipe to serve alongside, or use leftover Easter ham to make this recipe for a quick weeknight dinner!
Variations on this Ham and Pineapple Rice recipe:
This is one of those dishes that you can really customize to your tastes.
- It’s perfect for adding extra veggies (spinach, kale, mushrooms, peas, frozen mixed veggies — anything you want). Before I updated this recipe, I had a shredded carrot as part of the recipe. I took that out to simplify this recipe as much as possible, but it’s a great addition and no one really notices.
- You can also swap out the cooking liquids. Milk would give it a creamier taste, tomato sauce would give it more of a Hawaiian pizza flavor (but don’t forget the cheese if you’re going that route!). If you want to use tomato sauce as part of your cooking liquid, you may need to add additional broth to cook the rice.
- You can leave out the ham and use vegetable broth to make it vegetarian, or swap the ham for shredded chicken if you have some to use up.
- To substitute long grain brown rice, use 1 cup rice (rinsed), increase the cooking liquid to 1 ½ cups and the cook time to 25-40 minutes (check your product package for guidance)
- To substitute instant white rice, increase the rice to 1 ½ cups. Bring to a simmer, add the rice, then cover and remove from the heat. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Use your imagination and put your own spin on it!
More rice recipes you’ll love!
- Mango Salsa Chicken and Rice
- 7 Ingredient Chicken and Rice Bake
- Chicken Rice Soup: Stove Top or Slow Cooker
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice
*This post, recipe and photos have been updated since the original post in March 2016
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Ham and Pineapple Rice
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 391 ml canned pineapple tidbits drained (reserve any juices) about 1 cup
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce gluten-free if necessary
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup long grain white rice **see notes for brown rice
- 2 green onions sliced
- In a large skillet combine ham, chicken broth, pineapple, pineapple juice, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, and salt and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Rinse rice well using a fine mesh sieve.
- Stir in rice, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 10 minutes, stir, cover and continue cooking 5-10 minutes until rice is tender. Stir in green onions and serve.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel