Honey Lime Chicken Quesadillas are filled with chicken, peppers, onions and cheese and are the perfect easy weeknight or summer meal!
So my almost-4-year-old has sworn off of chicken and turkey since Thanksgiving.
It’s the strangest thing, and we are the kinds of parents who make her eat whatever we’re eating, or at least try it if it’s something really spicy or is more of an acquired taste. But even so, it’s hard enough getting through dinner time with a 1 year old and an almost-4-year-old without any extra, shall we say, “preferences”.
Any time I’m cooking chicken or turkey, unless it’s ground or shredded until she can’t actually tell what it is, I fully expect there to be a colossal fight at dinner time.
But I made these quesadillas for this month’s 30 Minute Thursday (where friends and I bring you all the 30 minute meals you need for your busy life, like this One Pot Chicken Chow Mein, Pizza Pitas, and this 20 Minute Ham and Pineapple Rice), and I finished photographing them a bit earlier than normal (i.e., before the husband is home from work, and sitting at the table, anxiously watching the clock and wondering if he should make himself a sandwich so he can eat before he has to go back), so I decided to polish one off before he got there.
Sure enough, when the kids know you’re in the kitchen eating something you’re never alone for very long. In come the girls, demanding to also be fed. The almost-4-year-old takes a bite and exclaims how good it is, and comes back for more.
There is no fight when we sit down for lunch.
There’s no weird, crinkly faces when she sees what we’re eating (and as you can see, there are pretty obvious large pieces of chicken in the quesadillas!). And when she’s almost polished hers off she says, “it’s so good with just chicken in it”, because she’s eaten all of her peppers and onions already.
These quesadillas are so easy and pack a citrusy punch from the lime, but the spices are mild. If you like things spicy, feel free to drizzle some sriracha on them or add some cayenne pepper when they’re sauteeing. They are a great 27 minute (yes, I timed myself!) meal, including slicing and shredding, that the whole family will indeed love!
To make ahead: you can easily cook up the filling when you’re doing your meal prep for the week, and then just stuff and heat for a quick, 5 or 10 minute meal later on!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Honey Lime Chicken Quesadillas: 30 Minute Thursday
- 2 large whole wheat tortillas about 10″
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 chicken breast thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- juice and zest of 1 lime about ¼ cup juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium high heat. Cook chicken for 1-2 minutes per side, until lightly browned on the outside. Add peppers and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender-crisp. Combine lime juice, zest, garlic, honey, paprika and salt and pour into the pan, cooking another 2-3 minutes until chicken is completely cooked.
- Remove chicken, peppers and onions from the pan with a slotted spoon and wipe out pan. Return to the stove and heat over medium high heat.
- Spray the pan with non-stick spray and add one tortilla to the pan. Sprinkle half with cheese, spread with half of the chicken, peppers and onions. Fold over, cook 2-3 minutes until golden brown, then flip and cook another 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to make second quesadilla. Slice each tortilla into 2-4 wedges.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel