This Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie is made with frozen bananas, low fat milk, peanut butter and unsweetened cocoa powder, for a healthy smoothie that tastes like a milkshake!
Table of Contents
We are big smoothie lovers here, and this healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie is my kids favorite one!
It tastes like a milkshake, but is made with simple, healthy ingredients that keep us going through a busy day.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie ingredients:
- Milk: I use low fat dairy milk, because that’s what we drink, but I have often used almond, nut or coconut milk and it is also delicious! If you need to make this smoothie recipe dairy free, you can easily swap for whatever milk you have on hand. You can also use water, but it will be less creamy.
- Frozen bananas: Frozen bananas are a must! Using banana slices that have been frozen (see my post on How to Freeze Bananas right here!) is the only way to go. It makes this smoothie, rich and creamy with a texture similar to ice cream. If you don’t have frozen bananas, you can use a fresh banana but you may want to add some ice cubes to cool and thicken.
- Peanut Butter: I use regular creamy peanut butter because, again, that’s what we have on hand! You can use any kind of peanut butter, or another nut butter, or a not free butter if you need to.
- Cocoa powder: Be sure that you are using unsweetened cocoa powder in this recipe, and not sweetened chocolate, hot chocolate mix or syrup as those have added sugars that really aren’t needed. The banana gives us the sweetness we need!
Optional add ins for this Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie:
This smoothie already has a good amount of protein and fat, but there are lots of ways to boost the nutritional value even further! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Ground flax: Flax is high in Omega-3s and fibre, plus they offer a ton of other nutrients
- Quick oats: Oats are another great way to add complex carbs that keep you satisfied through the day, and they’re a great source of fibre and protein
- Hemp hearts: hemp hearts or hemp seeds are loaded with Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, protein, and tons of other vitamins and minerals. They pack a big punch in a small package!
- Protein powder: If you simply want to boost the protein, a scoop or vanilla or chocolate protein powder will do the trick.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie (Chunky Monkey!)
- 1/4 cup low fat milk (or almond or non dairy milk)
- 1 banana, sliced and frozen (about 1 cup slices)
- 1 tablespoon light creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- honey, optional and to taste if desired
- Place all ingredients in the blender in the order listed. Puree until smooth.
- Taste and adjust peanut butter, cocoa or add a bit of honey to sweeten if desired before serving.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel