These Ham and Cheese Sliders make the perfect 25-minute appetizer or light dinner! Dinner rolls are layered with salty ham and Swiss cheese then topped with honey mustard and butter herb sauce.
Table of Contents
I have a couple of requirements for appetizer recipes:
- They have to taste good. (Win for everyone!)
- They must be easy to make. (Win for me!) 😉
These ham and cheese sliders definitely fit the bill so they make the perfect addition to holiday parties or game day get-togethers. They also work as a quick and easy, kid-friendly dinner!
These sliders take a quick 5 minutes to prep, are made up of just 8 simple ingredients, and taste so good! Sweet, buttery rolls, salty ham, melty, gooey cheese, flavorful herbs, and honey mustard. I mean, it doesn’t get better than that!
Ingredients for ham and cheese sliders:
- Rolls: you can use regular dinner rolls or Hawaiian rolls.
- Ham: you’ll need about ¾ pound of sliced ham. You can buy it pre-sliced at the grocery store or slice your own.
- Cheese: I like to use Swiss cheese because I love the tangy flavor with the salty ham. However, any type of melty cheese will work.
- Melted Butter, Honey Mustard, Dried Parsley, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder: makes up an ultra flavorful, savory, and slightly sweet sauce for the rolls.
How to make
- Slice the rolls: Without pulling the rolls apart, slice them in half so the top is separated from the bottom. Place the bottom rolls in a greased 9×13″ baking dish.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Top the rolls with half of the ham, then layer on the cheese. Finish with the rest of the ham, then add on the top buns.
- Add the sauce: Mix together melted butter, honey mustard, parsley, garlic powder, and onion powder, then drizzle the mixture over the assembled rolls.
- Bake: Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes at 350ºF. Uncover at bake for another 5-10 minutes then serve and enjoy!
Ham and cheese sliders FAQs
I love Swiss cheese on these sliders because its sweet, tangy flavor pairs so well with the salty ham. If Swiss cheese isn’t your thing you can definitely use another type of melty cheese as well. Try mozzarella, provolone, Monterey jack, gruyere, you name it. You really can’t go wrong with cheese. 😉
Yes! You should cover the sliders with foil for the first 15 minutes of baking time so the tops don’t burn before the cheese is melted. After 15 minutes you can uncover them and bake them for another 5-10 minutes to toast the tops of the rolls.
They sure can! You can assemble the sandwiches up to a day in advance and store them covered in the fridge. I recommend waiting to add the sauce until right before you’re ready to bake them so the buns don’t get soggy.
Baked leftover sliders will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. To reheat, cover and bake at 350ºF until heated through.
Yes, but I recommend doing so before baking. To freeze the sliders, assemble the sandwiches as instructed without adding the sauce. Cover with plastic wrap or foil and place into a freezer bag. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months. When you’re ready to bake, thaw in the fridge and bake as directed.
- Swap the meat. You can swap the ham out for another variety of ham like honey ham or smoked ham or you can use sliced turkey or chicken. Make sure that any meat you use is cooked first!
- Spice it up. Give the sandwiches a kick of heat by swapping the honey mustard out for dijon mustard, or adding a pinch of cayenne to the butter sauce.
- Try different sliders. Looking for another slider variation? Check out my Hawaiian ham and pineapple sliders or my chicken pizziola sliders on garlic herb biscuits.
These ham and cheese sliders are definitely best served hot and right away! You can serve them at a party with a spread of other appetizers or you can serve them as an entree with any of these side dishes:
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Ham and Cheese Sliders
- 1 pack dinner rolls or Hawaiian rolls (ideally 12 rolls all stuck together)
- 300 grams sliced ham (about ¾ pound)
- 160 grams Swiss cheese slices (about ⅓ pound)
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9×13" baking dish.
- Without pulling the rolls apart, slice in half (see photos or video for visual), so that the tops and bottoms are separated.
- Place the bottom part of the rolls in the baking dish and top with half of the ham. Place the cheese slices on top of the ham, and finish with remaining ham. Top with top buns.
- Combine melted butter, honey mustard, parsley, garlic powder and onion powder and pour over rolls, using a pastry brush to brush evenly over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes until cheese is melted. Uncover and bake for 5-10 minutes until tops are slightly toasted.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel