This Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken and Potatoes is an easy hands-off meal with just 5 minutes prep time! Juicy chicken breasts and tender potatoes in a garlic butter sauce. With step by step recipe video down below!
If there’s any dinner that garlic butter doesn’t make utterly amazing, I’m not sure what it is.
This Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken and Potatoes is such an easy dinner recipe — all you need is 5 minutes to stir together some melted butter and seasonings, throw some chicken breasts, potatoes and green beans in a crockpot, and drizzle the butter over the top.
Then you let it simmer away for a couple of hours until the potatoes are tender, and serve with a drizzle off that buttery goodness from down in the slow cooker.
Sure, you can add a side salad or some extra steamed veggies if you want (I’ve even included ways to add them right to this slow cooker meal down below), but the basics are all here: a good source of protein and some vegetables (yes, potatoes are vegetables, too and pack in a pile of vitamins and nutrients!).
And if you’re looking for something a little more extravagant, check out my Creamy Italian Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes!
This Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes recipe is another instalment in my Six Ingredient Suppers series — find out everything you need to know about getting in on the fun (including advance ingredient lists, giveaways, and fresh weekly videos) over in my Six Ingredient Suppers introduction over here.
Find all of my Six Ingredient Supper recipes here — I’ll be adding a new one every week!
Tips for making Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes:
- Getting your chicken and potatoes to cook in the same amount of time: this is the key to making this recipe successful! Try placing your chicken and your potatoes in an even layer and now crowding your potatoes. If your crockpot is going to be very full, it can take longer to cook so try quartering or chopping your potatoes into smaller pieces.
- Don’t overcook: neither overcooked chicken breasts or overcooked potatoes are particularly appetizing, and this can happen quicker than you might think when you’re using the slow cooker! Some people incorrectly assume that you can cook anything all day in the slow cooker and it will be perfect and juicy — this isn’t the case! You need to find the sweet spot where it is just perfectly cooked, and knowing that means knowing how your crockpot functions.
- Know your crockpot: Every slow cooker cooks a little differently — some hotter and some cooler. If you generally find your meals are overcooked, then your slow cooker is likely on the hot side and you may want to check it earlier. My crockpot cooks a little hot, so if your slow cooker is cooler, you may find you have to add an hour or two to the times here.
- Spread out your potatoes: try to spread your potatoes into an even layer as best you can so that they will cook quickly. If necessary, push them down in between the chicken breasts or quarter them so they cook more evenly.
Variations on this Garlic Butter Chicken and Potatoes:
- Add in extra veggies or swap the green beans: broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, roasted peppers, carrots — all of these would be great additions, but you need to be careful about when you add them in. When you will add them really depends on how tender you like them. Carrots can be adding at the beginning of the cook time. Broccoli, beans, peppers, etc., may be added half way through or ad the very end, depending how tender you want them to be.
- Add in a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese before serving (or another shredded cheese!)
- Swap the chicken breasts for boneless thighs — you don’t need to change the recipe at all.
- Swap the butter for margarine for a lower in fat meal.
- Add a pinch of cayenne for some kick!
More chicken and potatoes recipes:
- Caprese Chicken and Potatoes
- Honey Garlic Chicken Foil Packets
- Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs: Sheet Pan Dinner
- Pesto Parmesan Instant Pot Chicken Breast and Potatoes
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Crockpot Garlic Butter Chicken and Potatoes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb little potatoes halved or quartered (See notes above)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup green beans
- Place chicken breasts in an even layer in the bottom of a 4-6 quart crockpot.
- Add potatoes and spread into an even layer as much as possible.
- Combine butter, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and pour over chicken and potatoes.
- Cook on low for 2-4 hours, depending on your slow cooker (how hot it is and how wide it is — the deeper the food, the longer the cook time).
- Add green beans for the last 30-60 minutes of cook time, depending on the texture you prefer.
- Serve with remaining garlic butter in slow cooker.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel