This Easy Pumpkin Pudding Cake takes just 10 minutes prep and makes it’s own caramel pudding sauce as it bakes! Perfect hot from the oven with a scoop of ice cream. Includes step by step recipe video
Recipe posted first on The Recipe Critic
I know you know that I have a bit of a sweet tooth. But there is one type of dessert that takes the cake over all the others — a gooey, hot dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Always vanilla. Pumpkin pudding cake, anyone?
I’ve got a solid collection of them going on here on The Recipe Rebel — first my Grandma’s Hot Fudge Sundae Cake, then these Flourless Chocolate Lava Cakes and this Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Pudding Cake and this Red Velvet Pudding Cake.
ANYWAY. We like our dessert here.
What I love about pudding cakes is how easy they are to throw together — there’s no mixer needed at all, just a bowl and a whisk and a baking dish, and you’re done. 10 minutes prep max and it’s in the oven, and then all you have to do is wait and soak in that sweet, spicy scent.
Tips and Tricks for Making this Pumpkin Pudding Cake:
- I don’t normally have any issues with the cake baking over, but it will depend on the depth of your baking dish. Place a large piece of tin foil under the pan just to be safe! I don’t know anyone who enjoys cleaning their oven 😉
- Nuts would be a great addition to this cake — pecans in particular! Feel free to mix them into the batter or sprinkle them on with the sugar before baking.
- This pudding cake will definitely thicken as it sits, so don’t worry about that. The leftovers are also just as good refrigerated and then reheated, so no need to eat it all in one sitting (although I could never blame you if you did).
Watch the recipe video and see how easy it is to make!
Easy Pumpkin Pudding Cake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups flour whole wheat or all purpose
- 3/4 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree not pie filling!
- 1/3 cup 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 1/4 cup hot or boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9" pie plate or baking dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves with a spoon.
- Add in pumpkin, milk, oil and vanilla and stir until a thick batter forms. Spread into prepared pie plate.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1 cup brown sugar and corn starch until there are no clumps. Sprinkle over cake batter.
- Add butter to hot water and stir until melted. Pour over brown sugar mixture in pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until top is completely set (keep in mind that there is a thick layer of caramel sauce in the bottom, so it may jiggle). Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator and reheat perfectly!
Nutrition (this is an estimate)