Fresh cherries and blueberries topped with an oatmeal cookie crumble and baked until golden and crunchy! The perfect summer dessert for all of that beautiful fruit! Perfect for topping with ice cream.
Now, this is a little embarrassing.
This is the first time I’ve made anything with fresh cherries.
And I don’t just mean the first time I’ve made anything for the blog, I mean the first time Ever Ever.
We just didn’t have a lot of cherries around growing up – it’s not like they’re something that’s abundant here. And they’re rarely available and pretty much always expensive.
And I actually wasn’t planning on making anything with cherries for the blog this summer at all, but I keep seeing them pop up on Instagram…. And Facebook….. and Pinterest…… and when I passed the display at the grocery store and they were “on sale”, I just couldn’t walk by.
They’re just so darn pretty!
And it turns out they’re also pretty tasty.
I think one of the reasons I’ve never been brave enough to really experiment with cherries is because I detest maraschino cherries. I kind of think they’re gross and rubbery. I don’t eat fruit cake. I don’t eat anything with maraschino cherries in it.
I do, on the other hand, like cherry pie filling. Quite a lot.
So I figured I probably would actually like a nice, warm, gooey cherry pie with ice cream quite a lot.
But, you know how it goes. It’s summer. Do I want to make pie crust? Eh…. Not really.
And crisp trumps pie in my book anyday.
How about you? Would you rather a fruit crisp or a fruit pie? Or maybe more important, would you rather make a fruit crisp or a fruit pie? For me, streusel/crumble/crisp trumps everything.
I try to be pretty good about planning ahead to bring you posts that are relevant when I post them, but this recipe I created on a whim. I threw some berries and some other random things in a bowl. Then I threw some butter and some other things in another bowl. I combined them. I baked them.
And we were totally blown away by the results! I might just be a true fresh cherry convert. And the streusel ended up being more like an eggless cookie dough (and believe me I tasted it before I put it in – it tastes like eggless oatmeal cookie dough! And if you want to just spoon it into your mouth, feel free). But I like my streusel with a good amount of butter so it stays together and isn’t dry and crumble. We’re all about maximum crunch to complement the warm, oozing cherries!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Berry Cherry Crisp
- 3 cups pitted fresh cherries roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries or other berries of your choice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup butter cubed, cold
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup large oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour or sub all-purpose
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease 4 individual ramekins or skillets or an 8×8” pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine cherries, blueberries and granulated sugar. In a small bowl, combine corn starch and water. Stir into cherry mixture. Spoon into prepared baking dish(es).
- In another medium bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, oats and flour with a pastry cutter or your hands until crumbly (it will have a cookie dough-like texture). Crumble over top of cherry mixture in baking dish(es) and press down gently.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until bubbly and thickened and crumble is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel