These Easy Chocolate Crepes are a simple but decadent breakfast, brunch or dessert recipe! Fill them any way you want — with whipped cream, cream cheese, or fresh fruit, this is an easy crepe recipe to make ahead for a special occasion.
When there is chocolate on the table for breakfast, no one complains around here. These Easy Chocolate Crepes? Always a breakfast win!
I first shared these Chocolate Crepes on The Recipe Critic — check her out for more incredible recipe ideas!
What I love about crepes is how easy they are to make, and how well they reheat the next day (or the next day!).
I’m not really a big fan of leftover pancakes or waffles, but crepes? I find them just as good the day after. You can make these a couple days in advance for a holiday brunch and no one will ever know!
Crepes are a pretty big treat here all on their own. But chocolate crepes filled with fresh whipped cream and fruit? We’re hitting all the food groups (dairy, grains, fruit, some protein from the eggs), and yet they feel like a total splurge.
This is a great recipe to bust out early in the summer when strawberries are in season. Fresh strawberries only come around here for a few weeks every summer and it’s not something we take for granted! We eat them by the pail fulls, and don’t ever regret it 😉
How to Make Chocolate Crepes:
To make these chocolate crepes, I just added some cocoa and a bit of sugar to my favourite crepe recipe.
When you’re filling the crepes with sweet delicious things, you don’t need a lot of sugar, but you do need a bit to balance out the bitterness of the cocoa.
Here are a few tips that helped me a lot when I started making crepes:
- you want your batter super smooth, since the crepes are so thin,
- you want your pan nice and hot, so they cook up quickly,
- and you want to add just enough batter so that it covers the bottom of the pan completely before the bottom cooks. It will take you a few tries to figure out this perfect amount, and that’s okay 🙂 The flops are just as delicious!
Crepe filling ideas:
You can fill these any way you like, but here are a few of our favourite ways!
- Bananas and Nutella or peanut butter
- Strawberries and whipped cream
- Cookie butter and bananas
- Peanut butter and jelly
- Sweetened cream cheese and cherry pie filling (save this one for dessert!)
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Easy Chocolate Crepes
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- strawberry sauce or fresh berries
- sweetened whipped cream
- Add milk, water, eggs, flour, cocoa powder, and sugar to a blender in the order listed. Turn the blender on and process until completely smooth.
- Heat a crepe pan or large round pan over medium high heat. Spray with non stick spray, and add just about 1/3-1/2 cup of batter. Tilt it quickly but carefully, evenly distributing the batter over the pan.
- Cook for about 1 minute until the bottom is dry and cooked, then flip and cook another 30-60 seconds until the second side is cooked. (Exact cook time will depend on the temperature of your pan)
- Repeat until all batter has been used and serve with fruit and whipped cream as desired.
- Leftovers can be store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and reheat perfectly!
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel