An easy granola made with banana, chocolate and peanut butter — Chunky Monkey granola! A great source of protein and fiber!
I love Chunky Monkey.
I’m actually not a huge peanut-butter-on-its-own kind of person. I don’t ever eat peanut butter on toast. But if you throw peanut butter into a dessert, a cookie, or even oatmeal? Totally different.
I also actually have never been a huge granola maker or eater. I attended a food blogging conference where I was given a bag of dark chocolate peanut butter granola in the swag bag, and I’ve just been kind of obsessed. I thought it was time I made my own, and then I started dreaming of this No Bake Reese Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Cream Pie….. and the rest is history.
Lately, I’ve been swapping out my nightly plate of a dozen cookies with some low fat vanilla Greek yogurt and granola, and I love how it keeps you full longer so you don’t need to eat a dozen cookies after. And with the peanut butter and chocolate I can almost convince myself that it’s dessert granola!
I have a bit of a problem with my sweet tooth.
Most of the time, I can keep it under control but in November and December the urge to bake (or no bake) all the treats just takes over and I’ve got no self-control (maybe you noticed this Turtle Cheesecake or this Overnight Chocolate Cherry French Toast..) and I’m currently suffering from a bad case of Blog Booty.
So the New Year (yes I know it’s cliche!) is all up getting my act together and eating more healthy snacks instead of going straight for the cookie jar. Mostly I just love having an excuse to call chocolate chips part of a healthy snack 😉
Since I’m not an expert on granola, I went looking for some inspiration to use as a guide. I adapted this Chunky Monkey Granola recipe from this recipe from Cooking Classy and this recipe from Kristine’s Kitchen.
Chunky Monkey Granola (Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Granola)
An easy granola made with banana, chocolate and peanut butter -- Chunky Monkey style! A great source of protein and fiber!
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups large oats
- 3/4 cup banana chips, chopped or smashed to smaller pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped, salted peanuts
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with tin foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, add peanut butter, honey, vanilla and brown sugar. Microwave on high for 30-45 seconds, or until melted. Add oats, banana chips and peanuts and stir until combined. Spread onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, stirring once if you like smaller pieces, and not stirring at all if you like larger chunks.
- Remove from the oven and break apart gently with a spatula, or let cool completely before breaking into pieces if you want large chunks. Store in an air tight container for up to 1 month.
More granola recipes!
Pecan Pie Granola from House of Yumm
Chocolate Coconut Paleo Granola from Bakerita