Super moist, perfect-every-time banana bread that’s healthy, too! Freezer-friendly and made in one bowl with no mixer.
I am a banana bread fanatic.
It is my favorite quick bread and pretty much the best smell in the world. I think baking yeast buns/bread and baking banana bread are tied for #1 Smells in All The World.
But I have a confession to make:
I like plain banana bread best. Yes that means without chocolate.
Don’t be hatin’. You know I love my chocolate.
But I believe that a good banana bread is like a good brownie: it needs no frosting, no glaze, no chocolate chips, no nuts, nothing. If it’s the perfect banana bread, then that should be enough.
This here is the perfect banana bread.
This wasn’t intended to even make it to the blog.
I had finished my recipes for the week, four of them, in 3 days (Monday-Wednesday). Photographed and everything.
So on Thursday (because I don’t know how to handle downtime of any sort), I was all like, “I should just bake, just to bake.”
I knew I had lots of bananas in the freezer and I like to have a loaf of banana bread around for snacking, and I also love to have some in the freezer.
This is the recipe I’ve been sticking with for a long time. I’ve made it again and again and again and it turns out perfectly every time. But the only record I have of my version of the recipe is my comments on the original pin of the recipe from Cooking Light.
And since it was Thursday and I was done all of my other recipes I figured, “well I ought to snap a few pictures, and write up the recipe and be all official about it. No need to keep this perfection to myself.”
So that’s what I did.
And on my day off, I made you a bonus post.
Because I love you, and you deserve to have perfect banana bread.
It’s light, whole wheat, super moist, with reduced sugar and needs no other adornments. It’s made in one bowl with a whisk and no mixer. It’s freezer friendly.
It’s perfect. Just saying.
So even if I’m the only one to ever refer to this recipe, at least I have it written down somewhere!
Classic Banana Bread
Classic Banana Bread: the perfect, super moist, no frills, one bowl banana bread! It's also secretly healthy! www.thereciperebel.com
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup (130g) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup (125g) whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup (95g) all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease an 8x4" or 9x5" loaf pan (see notes)
- In a large bowl, mash bananas with a whisk. Add butter, yogurt and sugar and whisk (continue mashing if need be – if you don’t get the butter totally smooth, that’s fine!) until combined and somewhat smooth.
- Add vanilla and eggs and stir until combined.
- Add salt, baking soda, cinnamon and flour and stir just until combined (don’t overmix – it doesn’t have to be smooth, just combined).
- Spread in loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, covering with foil at 30 minutes when top is light golden brown, or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (up to about 1 hour).
I use a glass 8"x4" loaf pan. If you use a larger pan, it will work fine but your loaf won't be quite as high, so you will want to reduce the baking time slightly. If you use a dark non stick pan, your bread may bake more quickly.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 155kcal Calories from fat 15|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Adapted from Cooking Light.
You might also like this Glazed Lemon Monkey Bread!
Or these Baked Lemon Blueberry Doughnuts!
Toasted Coconut Blueberry Banana Bread from Bakerita
Banana Bread Granola from Pumpkin ‘n’ Spice
One Bowl Banana Marble Bread from Savory Nothings