These Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Candies are an easy, no bake treat for the holidays (or any day!)! A crisp chocolate coating is filled with creamy peanut butter filling, chopped salted peanuts and pretzels for the ultimate sweet and salty dessert!
Friends, I have been planning this recipe for a long time. A long, long time.
One day, quite some time ago, I recall being in a grocery store an hour from home long past my girls’ nap time. We had been in the city doing some shopping and were just about ready to head home, and the kids were not going to last much longer.
We survived — barely — and when we were on our way through the cash register I saw a bag of these chocolate peanut butter pretzel cluster type candies. I swear they keep them there for parents shopping with toddlers.
Often I feel the need to reward myself for keeping my cool at times like these (mamas — am I the only one?!?). I grabbed a bag and consumed the whole thing during the drive home while my kids were passed out in their car seats.
It has been on my list to recreate since then, and with Christmas and Thanksgiving and alllll the holidays and family gatherings and gifting coming up, I thought these would be the perfect treat to share!
I mean, if you can share because — I’ll be honest — it’s not easy!
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Candies are perfectly sweet and salty, and although they’re not exactly “healthy”, the peanuts and peanut butter do add a good amount of protein, and they say that dark chocolate has tons of antioxidants (<— “they” being my favorite people ever), so I say these little bites are a perfectly reasonable holiday treat!
And honestly, one of these bites post-dinner is really all the dessert you need, which is saying a lot for me because I have a major sweet tooth!
- You know me. I am a recipe risk taker and rule breaker. So when I say there are rules that can’t be broken, there are rules that can’t be broken. To coat candy in chocolate, melt the chocolate in a double boiler (or a makeshift one — that’s all I use!) and do not add anything to it. Use good quality solid chocolate bars, baking chocolate or candy coating wafers. I’m not going to tell you how much seized chocolate I scraped into the garbage while testing this theory for you.
- Feel free to mix up the add ins in this recipe! Try crisped rice cereal, puffed quinoa cereal, corn flakes, dried fruit, etc., etc., etc.. The options are endless!
*This post has been sponsored be The Peanut Bureau of Canada! Thank you for supporting the brands that help me to bring you these tasty treats!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Candies
- 1 cup peanut butter I used creamy, but chunky would work just as well
- ½ cup powdered icing sugar
- ⅓ cup cream or milk
- ⅔ cup pretzels coarsely crushed
- ½ cup salted peanuts, chopped
- 1½ cups dark chocolate about 150g
- 1½ cups white chocolate about 150g
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together peanut butter, icing sugar, and cream until smooth.
- Stir in the peanuts and pretzels into the peanut butter mixture until evenly distributed.
- Drop the mixture by tablespoonfuls onto a wax paper or parchment paper-lined baking sheet, then freeze them until completely firm. This will take about 1–2 hours.
- Just before removing the candies from the freezer, melt the chocolate and white chocolate with a double boiler (or makeshift one!). Place one inch of water in a small pot and bring to a simmer. Place a larger glass bowl over top (one that will sit on top and not sink down to touch the water) and add the dark chocolate. Stir over the heat until melted. Repeat with the white chocolate in a new bowl.
- Remove the candies from the freezer and coat in the dark chocolate and white chocolate. Let them set slightly on the baking tray before drizzling with extra melted chocolate if desired. Place in the refrigerator or freezer until set.
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Peanut butter: I usually use smooth peanut butter for this recipe, but chunky will work as well. I have not tested this recipe with natural peanut butter; it may work somewhat, but the filling will be thinner.
- Chocolate: choose any kind of chocolate you like! I prefer the contrast of a darker chocolate with the sweet peanut butter filling and salty crunch, but you could swap for milk chocolate or even a flavored chocolate if it melts well.
- Pretzels and peanuts: I love the salty crunch to balance out the sweetness! You can also use other chopped nuts, crushed salted potato chips, or dried fruit in the same amount.
- Store: Store these an airtight container in the refrigerator, they can last for up to two weeks. However, given how delicious they are, they might just disappear faster!
- Freeze: You can keep your homemade candies in the freezer for up to 2 months. Let them thaw slightly at room temperature before serving them.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel