This creamy Cannoli Dip is a Cannoli in dip form, perfect for dipping waffle cone pieces, fresh fruit, or cookies for a quick and easy dessert made for sharing!
Table of Contents
The first time I had authentic Cannoli, I was in Sicily.
I knew from the first bite that it was the best thing I’d ever eaten.
Fresh cannoli are a sweet treat about the length of your palm.
They have a creamy ricotta filling with chocolate chips in it, and a outer fried shell that is dipped in chocolate.
It’s heavenly, to say the least, and if you ever visit Sicily, you need to try them fresh.
I’ve already shared with you my Homemade Cannoli Crepes which are a delicious breakfast or dessert treat.
This easy Cannoli Dip is the perfect sweet treat dip for any occasion, from casual movie nights to special occasion dessert tables!
Serve this sweet dip on your Dessert Charcuterie Board to WOW your guests!
- Ricotta Cheese: smooth full-fat ricotta cheese works best for the creamiest texture and richest flavor.
- Sugar: powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar) helps to thicken the dip slightly and sweeten it without making it grainy. I haven’t tried this recipe with any other sweeteners.
- Vanilla Extract: adds a warm sweetness to the dip.
- Cinnamon: gives the dip a classic Cannoli flavor. You can skip it if you prefer!
- Cream: I find heavy whipping cream lightens the dip and makes it more scoopable. You can omit it if you prefer to use just ricotta.
- Chocolate Chips: mini chocolate chips will work well here as they disperse more evenly in the dip than regular chocolate chips. Be sure to only stir them in before serving!
- For serving: broken waffle cones or fresh strawberries are great for dipping!
How to Make Cannoli Dip
This easy dip is ready in just 10 minutes! The full recipe with detailed instructions is included in the recipe card below.
- Combine ingredients: Add smooth ricotta, sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon to a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until combined.
- Whip cream: In another medium bowl, beat cream with an electric mixer on high.
- Combine creamy mixtures: Fold together the ricotta mixture and the whipped cream.
- Add chocolate chips: Stir in the chocolate chips. Taste and adjust sweetness to your preferences. Refrigerate or serve immediately.
Cannoli Dip FAQs
Store Cannoli Dip in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Be sure to stir in the chocolate chips just before serving, as they will soften if they sit in the dip too long.
I don’t recommend freezing this dip, as the ricotta will have a funny texture if frozen and thawed.
Yes, you definitely can if you want to! I prefer to leave it out as it is not used in the filling in authentic cannoli (but neither is whipped cream, so you do you). You can swap the whipped cream for 1 cup of cream cheese or mascarpone at room temperature.
Tips and Notes
- Sitting out. Be mindful that this dip should be kept refrigerated, and not sit out for longer than an hour or two at a time.
- Ricotta. There isn’t a replacement for ricotta here since that is the main ingredient in cannoli filling. Look for a smooth, full-fat version, and drain any visible water from the ricotta before scooping it out.
- Mixer. You’ll need a hand mixer or stand mixer to whip the mixture properly! Using a hand whisk will be difficult, and won’t get the same results. You could use an immersion blender if you don’t have a mixer.
- Making ahead. If you’re making the dip ahead of time, leave out the fillings (chocolate chips/chopped nuts, etc.) until serving. The dip will separate slightly after a few days, so you’ll have to stir it to a smooth consistency before serving again. This is the point to add your fillings, then top as desired to serve.
Cannoli Dip Variations
- Add-ins. Match the filling to whatever you’re going to serve with your dip. You can get cannoli decorated with melted chocolate, but sometimes they also have chopped pistachios or candied fruit on them. You could try any of these in your cannoli dip, or try crushed peanuts, crushed cookies, lemon or orange zest or even sprinkles.
- Garnish. Your add-ins can also be used as a garnish. Some other garnishes that work well are chocolate curls, orange zest, or lemon zest.
- Flavor. Use almond extract, peppermint extract, or lemon extract to change the flavor of this dip to your preference.
- Color. You could add some drops of food coloring to change the color of this creamy dip to serve at a special event, like green for St. Patrick’s Day or pink for Valentine’s Day. Black food coloring for Halloween would work well too.
Broken pieces of waffles or ice cream cones are great for serving this dip. They add that classic crunch you get with cannoli shells, or you can buy Cannoli Chips instead.
Strawberries are always a hit with this delicious dip too. You could also try banana slices or apple slices for a healthier dessert idea.
Cookies are great with sweet dips. Try Vanilla Wafers, any kind of Oreo, Graham Crackers, or other thin or crispy cookies from grocery stores.
More No Bake Dessert Recipes You’ll Love
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 1 ½ cups ricotta cheese (smooth)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- broken waffle cones or strawberries for serving
- Add ricotta, sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon to a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. (*Optional: if you do not have smooth ricotta, you can process it in a food processor until smooth if desired).
- In another medium bowl, beat cream with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold together the ricotta mixture, the whipped cream, and the chocolate chips. Taste and adjust sweetness to your preferences. Refrigerate or serve immediately.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel