Pizza night is my favourite night.
I just love homemade pizza. I mean, I love all pizza, but I can feel a little better about eating 3 (or 4…. or 5….) slices of pizza when I know exactly what’s in it and I know that it’s not loaded down with grease.
I go a little crazy when I make pizza and make two extra large (15″ round) pizzas, even though we’re only 2 adults and a 2 year old. Mind you, my two year old can eat just as much as me some days.
Pizza is one thing I can eat all week long and not get tired of it. I’ll eat leftover pizza for lunch and supper for a good while after and just enjoy a little break from cooking.
I’ve been using this recipe from Something Swanky for pizza dough for quite a while now. I always substitute the all-purpose flour for whole wheat and add in some different seasonings, but it’s a great basic dough that comes together quickly.
A whole wheat crust is going to have a different texture than a crust made with all-purpose flour — if that’s not something you like, it’s an easy swap back to all-purpose flour. It is still fluffy and not heavy, and I like using whole wheat flour for extra protein and fiber.
*Note: The crust recipe makes 2 15″ pizzas, while the toppings are for one pizza. I do this on purpose, because I like to make 2 different kinds and have leftovers for lunch throughout the week. If you don’t want to make 2 pizzas, you can easily halve the dough recipe or divide it in half and stick half in the freezer. Be sure to wrap loosely with plastic wrap and place in a large freezer bag, and make sure you unwrap and place in a bowl while bringing it to room temperature.
I’d love to hear from you — what’s your favourite pizza combination?
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
BBQ Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
- 2 tbsp instant yeast or active dry*
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 1/2 medium onion sliced (I used red)
- 1 tsp oil
- 150 g or roughly 1 ½ – 2 cups sliced deli roast beef
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce of choice
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or feel free to knead by hand), combine yeast, water, sugar, and oil with a whisk. Let sit until foamy, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add flour, flax, garlic, salt and oregano and knead until dough is smooth, about 5 minutes, adding ¼ cup more water if dough appears dry.
- Cover and let rest at least 30 minutes, or up to 1½ hours on the counter. If you need to leave it longer, just put it in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Divide dough in half. If freezing one crust, set aside in a freezer bag and mark with the date.
- Roll out dough the size of your pizza pan or stone. Bake dough (without toppings) 8-10 minutes until slightly puffed and dry looking (not hard, just not wet). Remove from the oven and increase temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan, sauté peppers and onions with oil for 5-8 minutes, until al dente.
- Top crust with barbecue sauce, then beef, peppers and onions, and cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for another 10-12 minutes until crust is golden on the bottom and cheese is melted. Broil cheese 1-2 minutes if desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel