Slow cooker Hawaiian chicken, pineapple, peppers and rice make the perfect meal-in-one for summer! No need to turn on the oven for these Hawaiian Chicken Rice Bowls!
So I know this probably doesn’t surprise you, but I love a sweet savory dish.
Let’s just say I’m a bit of a pineapple fanatic.
I like pineapple in my dinner, my breakfast, my snacks, my dessert. And just straight up fresh pineapple everywhere in between.
I also love my slow cooker (it’s worth noting that TWO out of three recipes I mentioned above start in the slow cooker!). So when summer comes, anytime I can combine the two in an easy meal that the whole family will love (including the 3 year old who eats nothing these days), I am one happy woman.
At first, I was thinking of cooking the chicken, pineapple and peppers in the slow cooker and then cooking the rice on the stove. But I got to thinking…. if I can figure out how to perfectly cook pasta in the slow cooker (like this Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Chili Mac), surely I can do it with rice?!
And though I was convinced I could, I didn’t. For really only one reason: the color. With slow cooker recipes, especially when there’s a sauce involved, everything starts to take on the same brown color and I didn’t want to present you with one giant bowl of brown. Someday I am going to try making this with the rice right in the slow cooker and I will be sure to share my results with you!
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 sweet bell peppers, sliced
- 1 540ml can pineapple chunks with juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 cups cooked rice
- fresh green onion or cilantro and other toppings to garnish as desired
- In a lightly greased 4-6 quart slow cooker (mine was 4qt), lay chicken breasts evenly on the bottom. Top with sliced peppers.
- In a medium bowl, combine pineapple chunks and juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, garlic, ginger, and corn starch. Pour over chicken and peppers.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours (this depends a lot on your slow cooker and how hot it is!).
- Serve with cooked rice, and garnish as desired.
More slow cooker chicken recipes!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Korma from Sweet Peas & Saffron
Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki from Life Made Sweeter
Slow Cooker Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry Sauce from The Food Charlatan