This Italian Chicken Tortellini Skillet is an en easy meal made completely in one pot — loaded with roasted red peppers, spinach, tomatoes, herbs and cheese!
I’ll be the first to admit this isn’t very original.
When I had just started The Recipe Rebel, this would have driven me bonkers. But about 6 months in, my tune changed.
I started to see that those normal, every day recipes were the ones that you actually liked to see. They were recipes you even went to your own kitchens to make.
So I decided that sometimes I’m going to be downright boring.
I’m going to make those classic recipes that we all know and love — sometimes I’ll add a new spin, and sometimes I won’t.
Sometimes I’m going to — wait for it — cook something just because I want to.
This Italian Chicken Tortellini Skillet is one of those recipes.
Tortellini isn’t something I buy often (or really ever, for that matter). It’s not that I don’t enjoy tortellini, it’s probably because I enjoy it a little too much, if you know what I mean.
Those delicate, cheese-stuffed pillows of pasta are completely irresistible but not so light on the calorie side of things, so I usually stick to whole grain, whole wheat or high fiber pasta of another sort.
But I passed the frozen aisle in the grocery store a while back and there was a great deal on a 1kg bag of frozen cheese tortellini, and I thought, “what the heck?”
And I just wanted to make something classic, and boring, and seriously delicious but moderately healthy. So I used chicken broth and milk to make my sauce and loaded it up with chicken, tomatoes, spinach and roasted red peppers, and stirred in a just enough cheese because, well — cheese.
For a vegetarian meal, try swapping the chicken for white beans.
Please note: no real Italians are buying tortellini from the frozen section of my grocery store. This is my interpretation of Italian flavors, and this is my blog so I’m the boss 🙂
See how easy it is to make!
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 3 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini*
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Add thyme, basil, oregano and garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, spinach, roasted red peppers -- stir and cook 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together broth and corn starch. Add to the pan with the milk and tortellini and cook over medium heat until thickened and tortellini is warmed through -- about 4-5 minutes.
*Please note: nutrition information is calculated with My Fitness Pal and is an estimate only.
And because it’s 30 Minute Thursday, see more 30 minute meals from friends!