You guys, I made pizza on a pretzel crust.
And I totally wish it was my idea, but I actually saw the idea on a Little Caesars commercial. I was instantly jealous that it wasn’t my brain that came up with that idea, since I’m totally and completely obsessed with soft pretzels.
Regardless, I knew I was going to make it and I knew it was going to be soon.
So I whipped up a batch of homemade pretzel dough in the stand mixer and let it rise a bit. I knew I wanted plain old pepperoni and tomato sauce.
The sweetness of the tomato sauce and the spiciness of the pepperoni with the buttery, salty crust? So unreal.
So I let my dough rise about 45 minutes (you could totally leave it longer), and preheated my oven with my cast iron pan in it.
Now, this was the first time I’ve cooked in real cast iron. I just got my skillet for my birthday (thanks mom!) and it seemed like the right thing to do. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, a regular pizza pan would work just fine, it just might not get quite as crispy on the bottom.
Once my oven was up to temperature, I stuffed my whole recipe of pretzel dough into the pan (carefully! That baby is hot).
There was a part of me that was saying, “this is too much dough, Ashley. You need to take some and make regular pretzels with it.” But the part of me that is extremely lazy won, and — even though making the actual pretzels isn’t that much extra work — I stuffed it all in.
And it rose. Quite a bit.
But it was still incredible tasty, and this way you have an excuse to eat soft pretzels for supper. If you’d like a little less pretzel and a little more pizza, you can always take 1/3 to 1/2 of the dough and make regular pretzels or pretzel bites with them — they also freeze and reheat well in the oven!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Pretzel Crust Pizza
- 1 recipe soft pretzel dough
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- 12-15 slices pepperoni
- Additional melted salted butter and sesame seeds if desired
- Prepare pretzel dough up to the point of rolling out the pretzels.
- Brush your skillet with ½ tsp oil and set it in the oven while it preheats to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out a circle of pretzel dough to fit your skillet*. Bake pretzel crust for 5 minutes without toppings.
- Spread pretzel crust with sauce, cheese and pepperoni. Bake another 10 minutes until crust is golden and toppings are warmed through.
- Brush the crust with additional melted, salted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel