This Pizza Toast is an easy dinner recipe hack made with store-bought garlic bread, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and your choice of toppings! An easy meal or snack for busy weeknights!
Table of Contents
School is back in session which means we need all the easy recipes! This Pizza Toast is a favorite here — our kids especially love it because they can all make their own and add their own toppings.
One of my favorite hacks is starting out with store bought garlic bread. It makes these pizza toasts super quick and adds lots of flavor to the base!
I also love that these little toasts have it all: carbs, grains, protein, dairy and veggies — if you can convince the kids to put them on there 😉.
They are a complete meal-in-one that’s made with just a few minutes of prep!
- Store bought garlic bread makes this recipe so simple! You can make your own garlic bread if you prefer, but we love this hack for an easy weeknight meal or after school snack.
- Pizza sauce: choose your favorite!
- Mozzarella and parmesan cheese: mozzarella gives us that traditional stretchy, gooey pizza cheese pull and parmesan adds a nice hit of salty flavor.
- Optional toppings: pepperoni slices are always a favorite here, but you can stick with just cheese or add tomato slices and fresh basil to make a margherita pizza.
- Oregano: this is optional but I like to a sprinkle of oregano with the parmesan for extra flavor.
How to make Pizza Toast:
This recipe is great for kids or adults since it is so simple! It’s the perfect quick meal or snack for a busy day.
- Toast garlic bread briefly on both sides — this keeps it from getting soggy when you top it.
- Spread with your favorite pizza sauce.
- Top with shredded cheese
- Add your favorite toppings and bake!
Pizza Toast FAQs
I like to bake my garlic bread briefly on both sides before topping, so this pizza toast bakes around
Yes! One of the things I love to do is to prep some slices of garlic bread with sauce, cheese and toppings and freeze before baking. Yes, this means that the bread doesn’t get all toasty before adding sauce but it is still incredibly delicious and the kids love it for a quick snack!
Variations on this Pizza Toast recipe:
- Switch up the sauce: try Alfredo sauce from this Chicken Alfredo Pizza, or basil pesto or a spicy Arrabiata!
- Switch up the cheese: try gouda, havarti, monterey jack, brie — get a little crazy if you like!
- Add your favorite toppings: cooked Italian sausage, shredded chicken, crispy bacon, cooked ground beef, peppers, mushrooms, spinach — the options are nearly endless!
- Add a drizzle: balsamic glaze, hot honey or — YES — ranch are always great options!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 8 slices store bought garlic bread
- 8 tablespoons marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Sliced tomatoes and fresh basil for a margherita pizza
- Pepperoni slices for a pepperoni pizza toast
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place 8 slices of garlic bread in a single layer and bake for 10-15 minutes, flipping once, until lightly toasted on both sides.
- Spread one tablespoon sauce on each piece of Texas toast, then sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over all slices.
- Top with your desired toppings: pepperoni slices or thinly sliced tomatoes (leave off the basil for margherita pizza – we’ll add it later).
- Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan and oregano.
- Return to the oven and broil for 1-2 minutes until edges are golden brown.
- Sprinkle margherita pizza with thinly slices fresh basil leaves. Optional: sprinkle pepperoni pizza with finely chopped fresh parsley for color.
- Let cool on the pan for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel