This One Pot Turkey Chili Mac is an easy, healthy weeknight dinner recipe that’s made in just one pan! Loaded with vegetables and lentils for extra protein and fibre! Includes step by step recipe video.
Here we are, friends — the middle of September and everything is back in full swing! School, work, extra-curricular activities, and on, and on and on. If you’re a Canadian as well, you’re also gearing up for Thanksgiving and all the holiday craziness that comes with it (right through until the New Year!).
Honestly though — I love this time of year. I always have. I’m a sucker for routines and all of that boring stuff that summer has none of!
With our oldest girl in Kindergarten this year we’ve been forced into a routine more than ever before. Now it’s all about packing lunches, getting to bed early, agendas and school functions. I can’t say I hate that either though 😉
Because I’m still home with my almost-3-year-old and baby is coming in November (what?!?!), I’m always on the lookout for easy, healthy meals that are filling enough to keep everyone going — including me! I love using turkey and lentils to take a meal the kids already love and making it even more of a nutritional powerhouse. (Fact: if there is macaroni and cheese in a meal, my kids will get excited no matter what!)
I love turkey because it packs a ton of protein and gives me enough energy to deal with all the chaos that comes with 2.75 kids 5 and under. That and my morning coffee, of course 😉
Lentils are such a great add in for any meal the family already loves — they’re high in protein and fibre as well as iron and folate, both of which are so important when you’re pregnant and things I never seem to get enough of. This chili mac has a whopping 29% of your daily iron needs in 1 serving! Lentils have a mild flavour so they’re perfect for adding to any meal.
Tips and Tricks for Making this One Pot Turkey Chili Mac:
- Feel free to mix up the veggies to suit your family’s tastes — mushrooms, shredded carrots or zucchini, corn, peas, really anything can be added in.
- This recipe can easily be frozen for a quick lunch later on, keeping in mind that the pasta will be softer after thawing.
- If you want to jazz it up even more, feel free to use a variety of cheeses or spices. Maybe some jalapenos or Monterey Jack cheese?
*This post is sponsored by Canadian Turkey and Lentils.org — thank you for supporting the brands that put healthy dinners on our table!
Watch the recipe video and see how easy it is to make!
One Pot Turkey Chili Mac Recipe + VIDEO
This One Pot Turkey Chili Mac is an easy, healthy weeknight dinner recipe that's made in just one pan! Loaded with vegetables and lentils for extra protein and fibre! Includes step by step recipe video.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1/3 cup frozen spinach thawed and squeeze dry
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 798ml can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup split red lentils rinsed
- 2 cups whole wheat macaroni dry
- 2 cups low fat shredded cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir turkey until starting to brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add onion, pepper, spinach, garlic, salt, pepper and chili powder and stir. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, broth, lentils and macaroni. Stir well and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes until lentils and macaroni are cooked to desired tenderness.
- Stir in cheese until melted and serve.