This No Bake Chocolate Hazelnut Energy Bites Recipe is made with oats, hazelnuts, cocoa and sweetened with dates — they are the perfect healthy snack for lunches or school or work! They are so easy to make — includes a step by step recipe video.
I think one of the worst parts of being a food blogger is having to think about back to school in the middle of summer.
And because I’m a little obsessive and like to work ahead (you know, so I can enjoy my summer), I actually start thinking about back to school in Spring!
Since these Lemon Blueberry Energy Bites are the only energy bites recipe on The Recipe Rebel, I decided I needed another! And I know that people are often looking for ways to swap out peanut butter in school snacks for other types of nuts (if they are allowed), so I wanted to come up with a recipe that doesn’t use it as a base.
As much as we all love peanut butter here, my daughter is going into a nut-free Kindergarten room this fall (my first in school!) so I’m going to be thinking a little more about nut-free snacks. These do use hazelnuts, but I know that in a lot of cases it’s strictly peanuts that aren’t allowed, and because they’re so darn delicious, I wanted to share them anyway. We’ll continue to enjoy these at home and throughout the rest of the summer as an on-the-go snack!
Tips and Tricks for this Energy Bites Recipe:
- The hazelnuts I bought didn’t come peeled, so I peeled them using this method by Jamie of My Baking Addiction and it worked perfectly! But please, please — use a really big pot.
- You can definitely swap out the hazelnuts for another nut you have on hand (or one that doesn’t require peeling), but I was going for that “Nutella” vibe, so that’s why I chose hazelnuts.
- Which brings me to my 3rd point — these do not taste like Nutella. Eating one of these is not like eating a big old scoop straight out of the Nutella jar — I wanted them to be a healthy snack, reminiscent of those Nutella flavors 🙂
- Feel free to add in extra nuts, dried fruit, mini chocolate chips or a scoop of protein powder for some extra pizzazz!
- These balls also have 5% of your daily iron, in just one! This is great for someone like me who always tends to be low in iron.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
No Bake Chocolate Hazelnut Energy Bites Recipe + VIDEO
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts peeled, divided
- 1 cup pitted dates 26-27 dates
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 1/2 cups large rolled oats divided
- In a food processor, add 1 cup hazelnuts, dates, cocoa powder, honey, and 1 cup oats. Process until a smooth, pliable ball forms.
- Remove ball to a bowl. Chop and stir in remaining ½ cup hazelnuts and ½ cup oats.
- Roll into 1″ balls (I got about 24). Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days, in the fridge for 7 days, or freeze for 3-4 months.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel