This Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is a refreshing homemade ice cream. It’s rich and creamy with just the right amount of minty flavor!
Table of Contents
Is there anything quite as refreshing as a scoop (or two, let’s be honest) of Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream on a hot summer day?
Well, this mint chip ice cream is sure to satisfy any craving. It’s light, yet creamy, infused with minty flavor, and loaded with chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips.
It is my daughter’s favorite ice cream, so naturally I had to add a recipe here!
Looking for more delicious homemade ice cream recipes? Check out my Easy Homemade Ice Cream, No Churn Turtle Ice Cream or Homemade Cookes ‘n’ Cream Ice Cream with Nutella Swirl.
- Heavy Whipping Cream and Whole Milk: using full fat ingredients makes for a super rich and creamy ice cream.
- Granulated Sugar: you can use more or less sugar according to your tastes. Anywhere from ¾ cup-1 cup will be perfect!
- Egg Yolks: egg yolks create a custard base for the ice cream which helps stabilize it for a creamier texture. It also prevents ice crystals from forming which makes the ice cream last longer!
- Vanilla Extract: adds flavor depth and extra sweetness.
- Pure Mint Extract: use mint extract, not peppermint extract.
- Green Food Coloring: food coloring is optional, but gives the ice cream its classic mint green color.
- Chocolate: use finely chopped dark chocolate or mini chocolate chips.
How to Make Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
This Mint Ice Cream recipe requires just a quick 20 minutes of hands-on time!
- Cook the base: In a saucepan, whisk together cream, milk, sugar, and egg yolks. Place over medium heat and cook until thickened, then stir in vanilla and mint.
- Refrigerate: Pour the mixture into a glass bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap over the top so it’s just touching the surface. Place in the fridge until completely cold.
- Churn: Transfer the ice cream base to a chilled ice cream maker bowl, then churn for 20 minutes, adding the chocolate in the last 5 minutes.
- Freeze: Pour the mixture into a glass loaf pan or baking dish and freeze until firm.
Mint Chip Ice Cream FAQs
Classic Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is made using pure mint extract, which uses spearmint rather than peppermint. Although you can use peppermint extract in a pinch, it has a much more potent flavor, so you may need to add less so the mint flavor doesn’t overpower everything else.
The answer is yes, but I haven’t tried so I can’t tell you how much. I find mint extract to be more reliable and easier to measure, so I usually use that.
A good quality chocolate is key to take this ice cream to the next level! I like to use either finely chopped dark chocolate or mini chocolate chips.
Homemade ice cream will last wrapped tightly and covered in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve, let the ice cream sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften.
Tips and Notes for Mint Ice Cream
- Chill the bowl. Before you start your ice cream, stick the bowl of your ice cream maker in the freezer. The cold bowl creates a better texture when you churn.
- When you cover the ice cream base with plastic wrap, be sure it’s just touching the surface of the liquid. This helps prevent a skin from forming on top.
- You can speed up the refrigeration chill time by sticking the mixture in the freezer instead. If you do this, be sure to stir every 10 minutes to keep it nice and smooth.
- Freeze for 4-6 hours. We want the ice cream to have time to get nice and frozen before serving.
- Storage tips: Store the ice cream in a shallow, flat container, covered with plastic wrap, and in the back of the freezer. All of this helps prevent ice crystals from forming for a creamier ice cream.
- Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before serving so it can soften just a touch.
More Minty Desserts You’ll Love
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ¾-1 cup granulated sugar use more or less according to your tastes
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure mint extract
- green food coloring, optional
- 100 grams finely chopped dark chocolate or mini chocolate chips
- Freeze ice cream maker bowl according to instructions.
- Whisk together cream, milk, sugar and egg yolks in a large saucepan until smooth.
- Place the pan on medium heat, and cook and whisk constantly until thickened. It will be noticeably thickened, but not thick like pudding.
- Stir in vanilla and mint.
- Pour into a large glass measuring cup or bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap to the surface to keep a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate until completely cold (you can speed this up by placing it in the freezer and stirring every 10 minutes).
- Place in the ice cream maker and churn for 20 minutes or until a soft serve consistency. Add chocolate in the last 5 minutes of churning or stir in at the end.
- Pour into a glass loaf pan or baking dish and freeze until firm, about 4-6 hours.
- I recommend letting sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving. Cover leftovers with plastic wrap and freeze up to 3 months.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel