This Loaded Baked Potato Breakfast Casserole has all of your favorites: potatoes, bacon, eggs, sour cream, cheese, peppers and onions! It’s easy to make ahead and is a great healthy breakfast option for the holidays!
Breakfast is my love language.
As much as I love a Nutella-filled crepe, waffles or pancakes loaded with whipped cream and berries, or a French toast casserole (<– what I like to call Breakfast Dessert), I also love how easy it is to pack a pile of protein and veggies into just about any breakfast casserole, omelette, sandwich, or wrap.
I know that loaded baked potatoes sound totally rich — an over-the-top comfort food. But this casserole is packed with all kinds of good things — eggs and bacon for protein, Creamer potatoes (I used Blushing Belles from The Little Potato Company) and peppers for your veggies — and just a bit of sour cream is whisked into the egg mixture to give it that familiar tang and a punch of flavor. And a little bit of cheese, because, well — cheese.
I’m going to be completely honest here — I dislike sour cream by itself. But added to baked goods, cheesecakes or a casserole like this? A little goes a long way and adds this creaminess that you just don’t get from milk. I always use light sour cream to keep the fat content down.
This Breakfast Casserole is the perfect make ahead brunch dish for the holidays! You can easily prep ahead of time, and bake just before serving, or bake it completely and simply reheat when it’s time. Egg dishes reheat beautifully, which takes so much of the pressure off on The Big Day.
They’re also perfect for reheating on those crazy weekday mornings, (<– not that I know anything about trying to get a 2 and 4 year old fed while sufficiently caffeinating myself), or for breakfast for dinner with the leftovers making a solid breakfast the day after.
Because this casserole doesn’t have any bread, it’s easily made gluten-free, just be sure to double check all of your ingredients and open fresh packages to avoid cross contamination. You can also swap out the bacon (though there isn’t that much in there!) for turkey bacon, ham, sausage or turkey sausage if you prefer.
*This recipe was created in partnership with The Little Potato Company as part of my ambassadorship with them and I was compensated for my time. I’m so grateful to them for allowing me to bring you these recipes!
See how easy it is to make!
Loaded Baked Potato Breakfast Casserole
This Loaded Baked Potato Breakfast Casserole has all of your favorites: potatoes, bacon, eggs, sour cream, cheese, peppers and onions! It's easy to make ahead and is a great healthy breakfast option for the holidays!
- 1/2 bag Little Potatoes (340 grams or 3/4lb) (I used Blushing Belles)
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 4 thick slices bacon (more if you're using a thin cut bacon), cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil. Bake potatoes for 30 minutes or until tender. Cool completely and chop. (To save time, cook potatoes in the microwave for 5-8 minutes, checking every 3-4 minutes).
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9x13" casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together eggs, sour cream, salt and milk.
- Stir in cheese, pepper, onions, bacon and potatoes until combined. Pour into prepared casserole dish and bake for 35-40 minutes, until center is set. If edges are browning too quickly, cover with a piece of tin foil and continue baking.
- Serve with additional sour cream, bacon, green onions and cheese if desired.