Crispy Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce is a healthier dinner, made with baked chicken breasts and a creamy sauce made without cream!
There is so much to love about this crispy chicken!
This is a recipe I’ve been making since before I posted it originally in 2015, back when I was cooking just for fun 😉
The chicken breasts stay incredibly juicy, and because we’re baking them instead of frying, they are a much healthier option (and you also don’t have to smell frying oil for weeks to come!).
This basil cream sauce was inspired by a recipe I found in a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook a long time ago — it’s a lighter take on creamy sauce, made with milk and a roux instead of cream.
Variations on this Crispy Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce:
- If you don’t have panko bread crumbs, you can use regular bread crumbs or crushed crackers, but the panko crumbs make it extra crispy
- You can swap the milk in the sauce for half and half or even heavy cream, if you want it a little richer
- You can skip the chicken broth and opt for a combination of milk and cream, or just milk, or just cream, but I find the chicken broth adds lots of flavor!
- This recipe makes just enough sauce for serving with the chicken — if you want extra for mashed potatoes or pasta, be sure to double the sauce
More chicken breast recipes you’ll love!
- Mango Salsa Chicken and Rice — made with just 6 ingredients!
- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo — made in just one pot!
- The Best Oven Fried Chicken — with tons of rave reviews from readers!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Crispy Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt (I use Lawry's)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup milk
Basil Cream Sauce
- 3 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1/2 cup milk 1%
- 1 teaspoon basil pesto
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a shallow, square container combine panko through paprika. Place milk in another shallow container or dish.
- Dip chicken into milk, then into crumb mixture, pressing down gently to make sure the crumbs adhere to the chicken. Flip the chicken and coat the other side in the crumbs. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the chicken. Bake another 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F and coating is lightly golden.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the sauce. In a medium pan, melt the margarine or butter. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in broth, milk, pesto and salt and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until thickened. Remove from heat and serve over chicken.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel