This Layered Double Chocolate Peppermint Cake has two super fudgy cake layers, a white chocolate whipped cream frosting and is loaded with crushed candy canes and chocolate shavings! This is THEE Christmas dessert!
Recipe first posted on The Recipe Critic.
Here we are!
The countdown is on (okay, so my countdown has been on for a few months back, especially since I started testing holiday recipes in September!).
When this post goes live, I plan to be somewhere warm and tropical with my love and my little loves, soaking up some R&R before Christmas and I hope that you can find some time to relax with your loved ones as well this holiday season! (Follow me on Instagram if you want to see what we’re up to!)
You will have to forgive me if I’m not responding to comments here or on social media, or emails as quickly as normal — I will be back soon enough and then I’ll be busy playing catch up.
In the meantime — this cake!
Friends, the BEST chocolate cake in all the land comes from the Hershey test kitchen. No, this is not sponsored and yes, I love Hershey and all the work they do for us — but it’s just true. The Hershey Black Magic Cake is the best chocolate cake there is. A lot of people have reposted it and I’m sure a lot of people have claimed it as their own. Because it is the best.
The cake is so rich and fudgy — you really need nothing to top it. But if you’re going to go all out I say why not a white chocolate whipped cream, crushed candy canes and chocolate shavings? Because it’s the holidays y’all! (<— that felt wrong)
Chocolate and mint has always been one of my favorite combinations, especially at Christmas time. These Mint Chocolate No Bake Cookies, Mint Chocolate Oreos, and Almost No Bake Mint Chocolate Cheesecake are some of my other favorites! I hope you enjoy 🙂
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Layered Double Chocolate Peppermint Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon mint extract optional
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup hot coffee or water
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour or use all purpose
White Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 165 g white chocolate chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 package unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- crushed candy canes
- chocolate shavings
- CakePreheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease 2 8″ round pans well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, vanilla, mint extract (if using) milk and eggs.
- Add the salt, baking soda and baking powder and whisk until combined. Stir in the coffee.
- Add the cocoa and flour and stir just until combined. Pour evenly into prepared pans and bake for 28-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- White Chocolate Whipped CreamIn a microwave safe bowl, heat the cream and chocolate in 45 second intervals on high, stirring each time, until completely smooth.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (it won’t whip if it’s warm! I often leave it in the fridge overnight).
- After cream is chilled, sprinkle gelatin over ¼ cup cold water in a small bowl. Let sit for 1 minute, then microwave on high for 20 seconds or until dissolved. Set aside to come to room temperature.
- Beat cream mixture with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Stir in room temperature gelatin mixture and powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place one cake layer on a cake plate and top with half of the whipped cream. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes and chocolate shavings. Repeat layers one more time, using remaining whipped cream.
- Chill at least 2 hours so the whipped cream can set properly before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel