This Healthier Cinnamon Roll Baked Pancake is whole wheat, low in sugar, and bakes in a pie plate so there’s no flipping or waiting! Drizzle with easy Maple Cream Cheese Syrup for a special treat!
I have not been this excited about a recipe in a long time.
That’s not to say there haven’t been some pretty fantastic recipes around these parts lately — they are almost equally as fabulous as this here Oven Baked Pancake. Let me give you a quick rundown on why this thing is so freaking amazing:
- It’s pancakes without the flipping, so you can all eat breakfast together (say what?!)
- CINNAMON ROLL
- It’s made healthier with whole wheat flour and very little sugar — I know you’re looking at me with that skepticism in your eyes, but it’s true. There’s no sugar in the pancake base, there’s a 1/4 cup brown sugar in the swirl and 1/4 cup maple syrup in the Maple Cream Cheese Syrup. If you split the pancake 4 ways, that’s 2 tablespoons of sugar each with your syrup! And the best part is you won’t even notice because it tastes decadent.
- CREAM CHEESE SYRUP.
What makes this even more awesome (I know, I know — you can hardly believe what I’m telling you!), is that I baked it in my new Panasonic Steam Convection Oven.
This thing is just so cool.
It’s a microwave. It’s a convection oven. It’s a griller. It’s a steamer. And you can program it to do a sequence of these things automatically so you’re not running around like a mad woman (<—- not that I know what that looks like).
With the warmer weather coming (it is coming!), I also love that it doesn’t give off heat and warm up your whole house if you want to bake something. It heats efficiently so that if you just want to bake a cake or, say, a pancake and not 3 turkeys for Christmas dinner, you’re not losing all of that extra heat and making your whole kitchen feel like an oven. Do you know how excited I am to bake in this thing throughout the summer?!
One more cool feature and then I’m moving on back to the recipe: you can set the Steam Convection Oven to automatically cook your food. This right here is a game changer. You can select Auto Cook, and simply set the category of food and the weight and it will determine cooking time, or you can select Sensor Reheat or Sensor Cook, select the weight and it will just cook itself.
Yes, you heard me correctly.
The 4-in-1 Steam Convection Oven from Panasonic has what’s called a “Genius Sensor” that detects steam and knows how long it will take to cook your food. How wild is that?!
So, as you can imagine, I had a ridiculously hard time trying to decide what to make for you in this beauty. Do I steam something? Grill something? Bake something? Steam then bake then grill something? Steam then grill something? Microwave then bake then grill something? The options are, literally, endless.
With Mother’s Day around the corner (okay, so maybe it’s a month away but you might say it’s a holiday close to my heart), I wanted to go with a healthier breakfast or brunch recipe that the whole family will be excited about. I also wanted something that was easy and didn’t require slaving over a griddle while the family eats one pancake at a time.
This pancake is special enough for any celebration, but healthy enough to serve every weekend! I know it might look like a lot of ingredients or work, but it is really easy and takes no time at all!
*This post is generously sponsored by Panasonic and I have been compensated for my time, but all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make The Recipe Rebel possible!
See how easy it is to make!
Healthier Cinnamon Roll Baked Pancake with Maple Cream Cheese Syrup
This Healthier Cinnamon Roll Baked Pancake is whole wheat, low in sugar, and bakes in a pie plate so there's no flipping or waiting! Drizzle with easy Maple Cream Cheese Syrup for a special treat!
Maple Cream Cheese Syrup
- 4 oz light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons low fat milk
Cinnamon Roll Baked Pancake
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Maple Cream Cheese Syrup
- Combine the cream cheese and maple syrup in a small bowl. In the Steam Convection Oven, heat the mixture at 600W for 30 seconds and stir with a whisk until smooth. Heat again at 600W for 30 seconds if necessary and whisk until smooth. Stir in milk until desired consistency is reached. Set aside.
Cinnamon Roll Baked Pancake
- In a medium bowl, heat butter in Steam Convection Oven at 1000W for 20 seconds. Repeat until melted. Stir in brown sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Pour into a plastic sandwich bag and set aside.
- Preheat the Steam Convection Oven to 170 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, egg, milk, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, lemon juice and remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon until combined.
- Lightly grease a 9" pie plate and pour in pancake batter. Snip a small corner off of the bag with your brown sugar mixture and drizzle in a circle around the pie plate and in toward the middle.
- Once your Steam Convection Oven has preheated, bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
- Drizzle with warm Maple Cream Cheese Syrup.