This Healthier Baked Mac and Cheese is made with whole wheat pasta, low fat milk, and chicken broth but is just as creamy and cheese as ever! It’s a great make ahead meal for those busy weeknights! With a how-to recipe video
It’s that time of year again: Comfort Food Season!
Yes, we all love summer, and it will return! But for now? Healthier comfort food is where it’s at.
I think the best part about winter is those miserable days where you can just curl up in some sweats, by the fire, with a vat of mac and cheese or soup or chili. I have to say, it gets me a little excited when I know I don’t have to venture out in it!
For me, if we could have just one or two months of winter and snow, and a couple more months of fall I would be ecstatic. But since I’m not going to get my pick anytime soon, here is some mac and cheese.
For now, my goal is to bring you some healthier versions of my favorite cold-weather comfort foods, along with some extra special treats for the holidays (they balance each other out, right?!?). I hope you are ready for all the delicious things to come!
See how easy it is to make!
Healthier Baked Mac and Cheese
This Healthier Baked Mac and Cheese is made with whole wheat pasta, low fat milk, and chicken broth but is just as creamy and cheese as ever! It's a great make ahead meal for those busy weeknights!
- 1 (375g) box whole wheat macaroni (about 3 cups dry)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 plus 1 cups shredded cheddar cheese (low fat if desired)
- 1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Pour into a greased 9x13" pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and chicken broth and cook over medium heat, whisking often, until thickened (about 5-6 minutes).
- Stir in salt and 2 cups cheese until melted. Pour over macaroni in pan and stir until combined.
- Sprinkle with Panko bread crumbs and remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until bubbly. Broil for 1-2 minutes to brown the top if desired.
**Please note: Nutrition information is calculated with My Fitness Pal and is an estimate only -- this will vary greatly depending on the brand of products you use. Nutrition information for this recipe is calculated using margarine and low fat cheddar cheese.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 429 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 15g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|