These Fajita Turkey Burgers are seasoned with Mexican spices and loaded with peppers, onions and cheese — they’re Chicken Fajitas in sandwich form! A fun, healthy twist on a burger!
Can you believe this is my first turkey burger recipe on here? I have to admit, I haven’t made a lot of turkey burgers in my day but we are all totally hooked now. They are such a fun healthy twist on one of our favorite summer foods!
These burgers are so juicy and perfectly seasoned — they’re not overly spicy but have great Mexican flair! If you like your Mexican food really spicy, you can add some extra chipotle powder or even some cayenne pepper or paprika — you’ll have to use your own discretion because I haven’t tested it with additional spices! We like our “spicy” food pretty mild around these parts.
You can cook them on the grill or in a pan. Normally I like to refrigerate or freeze my burgers before cooking so that they hold together better, but I cooked these right after forming them and they were still perfect! If you want to make them ahead, they can be refrigerated for 24 hours or frozen for 3-6 months before cooking.
I topped these burgers with a marble cheddar cheese, but Monterey Jack would be another awesome choice, especially one studded with jalapeno if you like things with extra kick!
Fajita Turkey Burgers
These Fajita Turkey Burgers are seasoned with Mexican spices and loaded with peppers, onions and cheese -- they're Chicken Fajitas in sandwich form! A fun, healthy twist on a burger!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs (for a GF option, try finely crushed GF tortilla chips!)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- Buns, avocado, mayo, additional toppings to serve as desired
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg, bread crumbs, seasoning salt, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin and onion powder until just combined. Shape into 4-6 patties.
- Preheat pan or grill to medium heat and grease lightly. Cook burgers for about 4-5 minutes per side, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Top with cheese and let sit until melted.
- Meanwhile, heat canola oil in a medium pan over medium high heat. Cook peppers and onions, stirring often, for 5-8 minutes until desired tenderness is reached (as crisp or tender as you like them!).
- Serve burgers topped with sauteed peppers on a bun (optional!) with desired toppings: avocado, mayo or sour cream, salsa, whatever you prefer!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 172 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
More turkey burgers!
Greek Turkey Burgers with Whipped Feta from Sweet Peas and Saffron
Southwestern Turkey Burgers from Joyful Healthy Eats