This creamy Sausage and Potatoes is a healthy meal (made with turkey sausage!), FULL of flavour and can be made in the Instant Pot or stovetop.
If you haven’t been around here long, you might not know that I love comfort food.
I will take a big bowl of soup or pasta or a slice of pizza or a heaping plate of these sausage and potatoes over a leafy green salad any day. Do you feel me?
Here on The Recipe Rebel, we are all about healthy, Real Food. The kind of food that nourishes and fulfills, and makes you feel good.
One way that I love to healthify my favourite dishes is to swap meat for turkey sausage, ground turkey or chicken. It’s lower in fat and packs a big punch of protein!
In this Creamy Sausage and Potatoes recipe, I swapped out traditional pork sausage for Lilydale’s Smoked Turkey Sausages, and a heavy cream-based sauce for a lighter one made of thickened milk.
Lilydale has been providing Canadians with an incredibly wide range of poultry products (including breakfast sausages, Italian sausages, carved meats, turkey bacon and more!) for 75 years this year, so we are celebrating with them today! Be sure to check out my Instagram page for a giveaway coming soon!
The smoked turkey sausage adds so much incredible smokey, savoury flavour to this dish that you don’t need much else for seasoning! It’s an easy, one-pot meal that can be cooked a variety of ways, is gluten-free and hearty enough for a chilly fall day.
Tips for making Sausage and Potatoes in the Instant Pot:
I’ll be honest, the Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker is my preferred way to make this dish, because once you get the lid on it is hands off (and sometimes, with a 10 month old, 3 year old, and 6 year old, hands off is what I need!).
I’ve included full directions below, but here are a few extra tips:
- I recommend using small Creamer potatoes, thickly sliced for this recipe. They cook quickly and are bite-sized for little ones (and all of us adults, too!), and they turn out incredibly creamy after pressure cooking.
- If you’re trying to save time, you can skip the sauteeing of the sausages and just cook them with potatoes during the pressure cook time, but I like to add a little extra flavour and colour before closing up the lid!
- I use a quick release in this recipe, because the potatoes cook so quickly and we don’t want them overcooked. If you prefer, you can let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes before opening the valve completely.
- This recipe was tested in a 6 quart Instant Pot: I understand that some of the other Instant Pots and pressure cookers call for a different minimum requirement of liquid. The 6 quart calls for 1 cup, so I use 1 cup of broth.
Directions for making Sausage and Potatoes on the Stovetop:
The recipe below is written for the Instant Pot, as that is my preferred way to cook sausage and potatoes, but it can easily be done in a skillet as well.
Follow these directions for stove top:
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Stir in sausages, garlic, parsley, thyme and salt and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth and potatoes. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Whisk together milk and corn starch and stir into skillet. Cook and stir until thickened. Add cheese and stir until melted.
What goes well with sausage and potatoes?
We often eat this as a meal-in-one and serve with simple fresh veggies (my kids prefer fresh over cooked veggies any day!), but you can definitely serve with a side garden salad or any one of these side dishes:
- Layered Broccoli Salad
- Easy Creamed Peas
- Slow Cooker Honey Orange Glazed Carrots
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Glazed Carrots
Lilydale has generously offered up some Lilydale products for a giveaway over on my Instagram page! The giveaway will be up on Instagram shortly after this post is live (September 25th) so head over there and watch for this recipe and the full giveaway information.
*This post is generously sponsored by Lilydale — thank you for supporting the brands that make The Recipe Rebel possible!
Creamy Sausage and Potatoes: Instant Pot or Skillet
- 1 tablesooon canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 4 Lilydale Smoked Turkey Sausages sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb small Creamer potatoes halved (about 16 potatoes or 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute and wait until it reads "hot". Add the oil.
- Add the onion and cook until it is translucent and beginning to brown. Stir in sausages, garlic, parsley, salt, and thyme and cook 1-2 minutes until sausage is beginning to brown.
- Turn the Instant Pot off, add the broth and potatoes and put the lid on.
- Turn the valve to sealing, and select Manual or Pressure Cook for 2 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes to reach pressure and start counting down.
- When the cook time is over, do a quick release (open the valve) and open the lid. Turn the Instant Pot to saute.
- Whisk together milk and corn starch and stir into pot, cooking for 1-2 minutes until thickened. Stir in cheese. Serve.