These Chocolate Sour Cream Sugar Cookies are super soft and smothered in chocolate cream cheese frosting — it’s everything a chocolate cookie should be! Includes a step by step recipe video.
Because we’re back with one of my favorite variations yet: CHOCOLATE.
The all caps are totally necessary, friends.
Over the last year or two I have become a total cookie fanatic. I think the right cookie could nearly “take the cake” as my favorite dessert pick. The only problem is I can’t seem to stop at one… or two…. or….
But, hey — it’s November which means we’re in full on Christmas baking season and I won’t apologize.
For this twist on my Grandma’s cookie recipe, I’m smothering these beauties in chocolate cream cheese frosting. It’s rich and tangy and it just goes so perfectly with these soft cookies.
Tips and Tricks for Making these Chocolate Sour Cream Sugar Cookies:
- These sugar cookies are tender and cakey and they melt in your mouth — you won’t want to roll these out, because the dough is quite sticky. Resist the urge to add flour or you will probably end up with hockey pucks!
- I haven’t tried refrigerating the dough overnight, so I can’t say how they will turn out. I tried refrigerating for 1 hour, and I still liked them better baked right away.
- The cookies themselves are not overly sweet. I do this because they are a frosted cookie. If you are planning to skip the frosting, understand that your end result won’t be super sweet.
- You can use a regular chocolate buttercream frosting (or vanilla, or mint, or peanut butter — the options are endless!) if you don’t want to do cream cheese.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Chocolate Sour Cream Sugar Cookies Recipe + VIDEO
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups sugar 400g
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups flour 435g
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chopped
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature 125g
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered icing sugar
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on high until combined.
- Add sour cream, eggs and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
- Add flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder and beat on low until combined — dough will be soft, almost like thick cake batter. Do NOT add flour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls (or a 2 TBSP cookie scoop) onto baking sheets 2-3 inches apart and bake for 9-11 minutes, until edges are golden and centers are set.
- Make the frosting:In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate and cream. Microwave on high in 10-20 second intervals, stirring well each time, until chocolate is melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy, 2-3 minutes. Spread over cooled cookies and serve or refrigerate to set the frosting. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer (I recommend freezing in a single layer before stacking) for up to 3 months.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel
HOLIDAY BAKING GIVEAWAY!
The giveaway is over and the prize has been delivered! Thank you to everyone who entered!