These Lemon Sour Cream Sugar Cookies are soft, moist and loaded with lemon! There’s no chilling or rolling — just stir, drop, bake and frost (if you want to!). Perfect for Easter or Christmas baking. Includes how to recipe video
So I stumbled upon the recipe for these Sour Cream Sugar Cookies in the cookbook my Grandma made for me last fall.
I never would have guessed how popular it would become! The problem is, some people loved it and some people hated it.
The issue was that those who didn’t like the recipe really didn’t know what to expect — the cookies are soft and cakey. They are not sugar cookies for rolling or cutting, and they’re pretty delicate.
So I’m back again with another variation, obviously. Bring on the haters! 😉
I wanted to try leaving out some of the moisture this time to get a slightly firmer cookie. These cookies are still very soft, and cakey, and delicious. If you’re looking for a firm sugar cookie — this recipe is not it. But they melt in your mouth and will be gone in no time!
I also wanted to add lemon because we love lemon. We love it big time.
With Easter coming up, my mind always goes to fresh, Springy flavors and potluck foods. Easter is a bit of a wildcard here in Manitoba — it can be cold, it can be really cold, or it can be pretty warm. You never really know what you’re going to get!
Regardless of what the temperature is, I am always so ready for Spring. The winter is long and cold and snowy and blowy and we are all anticipating blue skies and green grasses. Bring on the fresh, fruity treats! (And swimsuit-friendly meals… )
I would love to hear what your favorite Spring meals or treats are! Smoothies, popsicles, fruit salads, Easter meals? I’m itching for some fresh inspiration!
If you haven’t yet, be sure to join my Facebook group to stay up to date on new recipes and take part in polls and surveys to help me pick the best recipes to show you here!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Frosted Lemon Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar approx. 400g
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream I use 5%
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour about 575g
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered icing sugar
- juice of 2 lemons*
- yellow food coloring optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, sour cream, lemon zest, and lemon juice and beat until combined.
- Add the baking soda, baking powder and flour and beat just until combined. Dough will be the consistency of thick cake batter — it is quite sticky and soft.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets (I get 6 on a regular baking sheet — my cookies are large!), trying to make drops as round as possible. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until no longer glistening in the center. Cool completely.
- FrostingWith an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and just enough lemon juice to make a smooth, thick frosting (you can add a teaspoon of milk if it is too thick). Color with yellow food coloring if desired.
- When cookies are completely cool, spread with an even layer of frosting and serve.
**My cookies are very large. You can definitely make smaller cookies and the recipe will yield more, you will just want to decrease the baking time.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel