This Caramel Apple Icebox Cake is made with layers of graham crackers, cream cheese, apple pie filling and topped with a drizzle of caramel. An easy no bake dessert!
You know, I’m kind of new to this idea of layering graham crackers or other cookies with cheesecake or pudding or other equally delicious things, and letting them hang out and soften in the fridge to make cake.
But I’ve gotta say, I really like it.
I mean, there’s nothing not to like. You’ve got a cake layer you didn’t actually have to bake. Cream cheese. Whipped cream. Apples. Cinnamon. Caramel.
And the best part? You can make it ahead and stick it in the refrigerator.
You can even stick it in the freezer and enjoy it partially frozen!
It just doesn’t get any better.
Tips for making a great icebox cake:
- Your cookies: I tried making this recipe with golden Oreos originally, and I just gave up this time after two fails. Oreos are delicious but they are too thick to really make a beautiful icebox cake, since they don’t soften or slice as easily. If you are determined though, go for it 🙂
- Your filling: you want this filling to be thick so that everything stays together when you flip it. To get a nice even layer in your pan, I recommend putting your filling in a piping bag, and piping a thin layer so that there is not much spreading needing.
- Your apple pie filling: yes, I used a can. I recommend taking a sharp knife and running it through the apples in the pan so they are not as large and you can an even distribution. If you prefer, you could arrange some artfully on the bottom of your loaf pan (which will be the top of your cake), and then slice the rest.
- Your pan: I chose to use a plastic wrap lined 9×5″ loaf pan for this recipe and I’m glad I did! It is such a pretty presentation, and once the icebox cake is set it is really easy to turn out onto a platter and unmold. If you prefer, you can easily make this in an 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan instead.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Caramel Apple Golden Oreo Icebox Cake
- 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1 102g package instant vanilla pudding (a 4 serving size)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whipped topping or whipped cream
- 24 square graham crackers (12 large ones)
- 540 ml can apple pie filling
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- Cheesecake Mixture: In a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add in pudding mix and 1 cup milk and mix on low until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping or whipped cream with a spatula. Set aside.
- Assembly: Line a 9×5" loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing for lots of overhang.
- Place ⅓ of apple pie filling in the bottom of the pan (this will be the top when we flip).
- Spread with ⅓ of your cream cheese mixture and top with one layer of graham crackers (I used 8 square crackers in each layer)
- Repeat layers twice more, ending with the last layer of graham crackers. Wrap the plastic wrap overhang over the top of the cake in the pan loosely (it's okay if it doesn't cover completely).
- Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight before inverting onto a serving platter, removing the plastic wrap and garnishing with whipped cream and caramel sauce as desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel