Super moist Banana Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins made healthier with whole wheat flour and applesauce! Perfect for that summer zucchini and a great back to school snack! Includes step by step recipe video.
Any time I can hide my vegetables in chocolate, count me in.
I can’t honestly say that I eat a lot of zucchini that’s not baked into something, but I sure do love it paired with banana and chocolate. I like to think it makes these Banana Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins healthy enough to indulge in on a regular basis!
I first made these muffins last summer when I was given some zucchini (you know how it is, that time of year — boxes labelled “free zucchini! Take me home!” everywhere you turn), and now I wait for zucchini season just so I can stock up the freezer with these muffins. It’s also kind of nice that zucchini season and back-to-school season happen at the same time, because these muffins make such an awesome school snack or breakfast.
These muffins have tons of good healthy stuff going on. Zucchini, banana, whole wheat flour, unsweetened applesauce… so I didn’t feel too bad adding the chocolate in there, too.
The recipe makes a really large batch, because I am allllll about my freezer. They freeze perfectly for at least a few months, and you can just give them a quick zap in the microwave and they’re as good as fresh. With school around the corner (and my baby going into kindergarten!), I’m sure I’ll be stocking up for easy school snacks.
This recipe is tied for first place with my other favorite banana chocolate chip muffins. They are so moist, the recipe makes a bunch and they freeze perfectly.
You might also like these Double Chocolate Banana Bran Muffins!
Original recipe and photos published September 8, 2014. Post updated June 13, 2017.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Banana Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- 3 overripe bananas (I put mine in the freezer and let them thaw before using)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil or oil of choice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (you can do 350 if using light colored pans) and line 3 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas with a whisk. Add zucchini, vanilla, eggs, brown sugar, applesauce and oil and whisk well to combine.
- Add flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon all at once and whisk until just combined (you want them evenly distributed, but don’t overmix). Stir in chocolate chips if desired.
- Spoon batter into paper liners and bake at 325 for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let rest 10 minutes before removing from the pan to cool completely.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel