My version of my Mom’s Pineapple Squares — almost no bake dessert that’s perfect for Spring or Easter! Light and fluffy and full of crushed pineapple!
So today we’re celebrating the babes of some good blogger friends: Natalie (and baby Josh!) of Tastes Lovely, Jessica of Flying on Jess Fuel, and Izzy of She Likes Food! Personally I don’t think there’s any better way to celebrate, well, pretty much anything than good food, so we’ve gathered a bunch of tasty bites and you can find them all in the links below the recipes.
When I was trying to think of something I wanted to make, since I knew we were planning for the end of February, I wanted something light and Springy. By the end of February, I am way (WAY) over it being winter and just want some warmth, but often it doesn’t really come until May!
My mind went straight to my Mom’s Pineapple Squares — I had this crazy obsession with them when my Mom would make them when we were younger. I don’t even know if I ever really told her how much I liked them (though I’m sure it showed!), but I remember just loving that overly sweet filling and slight tang from the pineapple.
So I went to find my the recipe I scrawled down from my Mom a long time ago, and when I went to make it I noticed it called for raw eggs. Now, I know a few desserts like this that have completely raw eggs, and I personally know that eating raw eggs is actually totally fine as long as they are pasteurized. But I didn’t want to get anyone all worked up about the raw eggs in the recipe and have to justify their use, so I thought maybe it was better if I didn’t make them.
Except I couldn’t get them off my mind. I looked at the recipe and figured I could just as easily make them without. And so I did, and although I didn’t make the original version to compare, I think these are pretty darn good.
A warning: the powdered sugar filling is sweet. There is a very small layer of it, and I love the way the tangy pineapple complements it. But I just don’t want you to make this dessert (that should be a hint right there, but sometimes it’s not enough), and then complain to me that it’s sweet. Yes, it is sweet. Okay? Cut into small pieces and thoroughly enjoy 🙂
Mom's (Almost) No Bake Pineapple Squares
My version of my Mom's Pineapple Squares -- almost no bake dessert that's perfect for Spring or Easter! Light and fluffy and full of crushed pineapple!
- 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons powdered icing sugar, divided
- 1-2 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (35%)
- 3/4 cup crushed pineapple, completely drained of juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8x8" pan with tin foil. Spray with non stick spray.
- In a small bowl, melt ¼ cup butter. Stir in graham crumbs. Spread into prepared pan and bake for 8-10 minutes or until dry on top. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Beat remaining ¼ cup butter and 1 cup powdered sugar with an electric mixer. Add 1-2 tablespoons pineapple juice until it comes together and is smooth (you don't want it too wet!). Spread onto cooled crust.
- Beat cream with an electric mixer on high until soft peaks form. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in crushed pineapple and spread onto filling in the crust.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours until chilled and set. Cut into 12-16 bars.
Other recipes that will have you dreaming of Spring!
Caprese Cups – Pumpkin ‘N Spice
Almost No Bake Pineapple Squares – The Recipe Rebel
Key Lime Cheesecake Bars with Coconut Macadamia Crust – Flavor the Moments
Lemon Macarons – Life Made Sweeter
Lemon Lime Bars – Bake. Eat. Repeat.
Chocolate and Salted Caramel Swirled Meringues – Floating Kitchen
Prosciutto-Wrapped Avocado Crostini with Balsamic Glaze – My Sequined Life
Mediterranean Stuffed Mini Peppers – Kristine’s Kitchen
Mini Chocolate Bundt Cakes – My Kitchen Craze
Pepper Jack and Bacon Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes – A Latte Food
No Bake Baileys Smores Mousse Cups – With Salt and Wit
Strawberry Shortcake Bread – Maebells
Banana Cream Pie Dessert Nachos – Whole and Heavenly Oven
Lemon Cream Pie Bites – Bakerita
Balsamic Strawberry Wonton Bites – Sweet Peas & Saffron