This Strawberry Lemonade Cake is a fresh, fruity summer dessert made with real strawberry puree and freshly squeezed lemon juice! There’s an ultra moist strawberry cake topped with lemon buttercream frosting — it will be a hit at any summer barbecue!
If you know me at all, you know I am allllll over this right here.
I love lemon. I love strawberries. I love cake. There is really not that much to be mad about.
It is nearly the end of June, which means that school is on the way out and summer is on the way in, and I see 2 glorious months of camping and swimming and spray parking and picnicking ahead of us.
How I will do that with a 6 year old, 3 year old and a 6 month old and no husband, I’m not exactly sure yet — but we’ll figure something out 😉
This is the time where my husband gets busy again with work, and I’m mostly single-momming from July until we get a dump of snow (which I’m always praying comes sooner rather than later). But I am still hoping to get out of the house and enjoy the beautiful Manitoba summer while we have it!
How to make Strawberry Lemonade Cake:
- I try to stay away from boxed mixes as much as possible around here, but every once in a while we mix things up! This strawberry cake is homemade and uses real strawberry puree for flavor, but if you want to punch things up feel free to add a tablespoon or two of strawberry Jello powder to give it some “pop”.
- You can use fresh or frozen strawberries for your puree, just make sure that if you’re using frozen strawberries, you thaw and drain them before pureeing so that you are not adding in all that extra liquid.
- Feel free to mix things up a bit! You can use raspberries to make this a raspberry lemonade cake, swap the lemon for orange or lime, or just go crazy and add a little of everything! I’m a big fan of improvising here, so you do you 😉
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups fresh strawberry puree 1lb strawberries
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- red food coloring optional
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- yellow food coloring optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13″ baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil and sugar until combined.
- Add strawberry puree, eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and slowly stir just until moistened. Spread batter into prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Let cool completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until smooth with an electric mixer.
- Add the powdered sugar, cream, and lemon zest (start slowly with the lemon if you don’t like too much zing!) and beat until smooth. Add lemon juice just until desired consistency is reached.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel
This was such an amazing recipe! It was so sweet and the lemon frosting just added that special zing! 10 out of 10 cake!
The Recipe Rebel says
Hi Andria! So glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for this review!
I’m planning to make this recipe for my daughter’s 5th bday! I’m doing it in 8″ cake pans. Will I need to double the frosting recipe for 2 layers?
Ashley Fehr says
I think that depends if you want to frost the sides. The frosting is enough to cover the top, but not the sides.
So do we just blend the strawberries to make the puree?
Ashley Fehr says
Yes! I use a blender or small food processor
I am also a lover of lemon and strawberries. I can almost taste this cake, it sounds SO GOOD. I’ve got all this fresh squeezed lemon juice from my overabundance of fresh lemons so I’m always looking for more ways to use it!
Ashley Fehr says
Oh perfect! Thanks Danielle!